View Single Post
04/25/14, 10:45 AM   #13
Halja

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Wobin View Post
I've been assuming that they're used in the localisation for languages with gendered words, and the grammar requirements to handle those words with different sentence structures/affixes/prefixes etc
Wobin I would agree with that also. I would not go as far to say English is a gender-neutral language. Modern English has become simplified to pronoun–antecedent agreement. For the most part, you only need to switch out the pronoun between male, female, and neuter. That is definitely not the case with German, French, and lots of other languages. As you said the sentence can be significantly different between genders. I too think ZOS is parsing the ^M|^F in a string function to make the adjustments. Thinking more about the IRC conversation about the same recipes displaying several names in German and French lend some credence to the theory.

The function zo_formatstring does cleanup some text inconsistencies like capitalization and positional text substitutions. I wonder is there is a way to use the format parameter in zo_formatstring to leverage them or is there another function in the API not exposed to us?

--halja