View Single Post
06/02/22, 10:29 PM   #22
cyxui
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Shinni View Post
10 000/7 year = 120/month
That seems rather expensive, no wonder you need ads or payments. Are you renting a full/dedicated server? It might be worth to switch to a VPS/virtual server, because I'm not sure you will be able to cover that cost even with the new ads.

For HarvestMap I also provide a program and server to upload and download data, similar to TTC. In my case, a simple VPS that costs just 1EUR/month is enough.
I assume the additional TTC web interface requires a bit more power, but I don't think it would be much more expensive.
I rent my VPS for HarvestMap from IONOS.
Using VPS. IDK how familiar you are with DB but allowing users to search while others are inserting takes significant amount of resource (mainly RAM and I/O) compared to just occasionally merging two data files.

Web interface is like the least resource consuming part of the whole project.

I haven't calculate the rate in quite a while. Last time I checked it was like 150-200 queries/second. I have optimized TTC numerus times. All sql queries are written using raw sql and have optimized the query plan for maximum performance. All the sql dead lock errors have been fixed. Indexes are regularly being monitored and any under used indexes are either merged or dropped. I analyzed every single query to make sure the query plan is efficient.

You can look up how much the DB part alone will cost given the I/O rate requirement.

I am pretty confident that the VPS i am using is the minimum spec with all the super deep level optimization I have made in the past few years.

Last edited by cyxui : 06/02/22 at 10:33 PM.