View Single Post
06/03/22, 03:28 PM   #27
Dolgubon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by cyxui View Post
2. I failed to see why Patreon would work when Paypal donation button failed miserably hard.

Even if it does not fully pay for it, I think a Patreon should be something to consider.For one, it's far more consistent than PayPal. Where most donations on PayPal are one time donations, Patreon is monthly. You won't be as dependent on random chance of people deciding to donate. Amount you get from Patreon per person is also probably gonna be more over time, because it's going to be a donation each month.
But the big thing is that one problem/theme with what you currently have is people thinking 'pfft this guy can't be losing money TTC is so big'
Well, Patreon can help there as well. Make a goal 'server costs are paid for, I can turn off ads' at x amount of money and suddenly, people can't as easily dismiss the claim of you losing money. You could also do another tier 'partjal server costs are paid for, anti Adblock is off'. Seeing the actual dollar amount it costs you may also prompt more people to donate.
If no one joins the Patreon? You still come out ahead, because now it's much harder for people to say you're losing money. You don't need to change anything, and if somehow it *does* pay for partial costs or full costs, well, then they win as well.

So even if it gets you $0 you still shut down quite a bit of the criticism, and gain in that sense. (I think you'll probably get some, but nowhere near enough for the entire costs. But some is better than none)