View Single Post
01/02/16, 07:32 PM   #22
jgq85
Originally Posted by Ravalox Darkshire View Post
Microsoft deems the Documents folder as the proper place to put user profile based permanent data, as such developers are urged to use this structure for settings files and files created through the operation of their software (such as webcam captures, pictures, and actual documents).

The AppData structure is considered part of the system file structure and is not intended for end user access (that's why it's hidden by default). The files stored in here are intended to be working copies only and (technically) should be removed by the application on proper shutdown. (basically a scratchpad for the programs you run). Most disk cleaners will wipe these files as they are within a structure considered temporary.

Microsoft always intended the My document s (and now Documents) fie structure as the on stop shop for backing up user data.

The Documents folder structure is also included in the roaming profile folders and files feature, not that it is likely that a *work* computer would be used to play ;-P but it prevents data loss if the local hard drive were to fail or the OS re-installed. Of course this requires a file server to implement.
Wouldn't webcam captures and pictures be going into "C:\Users\%username%\Pictures"?

In my experience, add-ons for programs would either be in the same folder as the Program is in, or in "C:\Users\%username%\appdata\Local".
Can't say I've ever experienced data there getting erased by disk-cleaners, and I've run almost all of them you can find (ones recommended on technibble, reddit, etc.)

And in my organization, we do have roaming profiles in one domain. And some profiles are stored separately in our RDS and Citrix environments for some groups of users.