View Single Post
08/03/20, 02:40 PM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Welcome back, don't forget the squirrels: They are everywhere!

I'm looking for the addon that searches another person's inventory and reports back to him what is there.
I think this is an invasion of privacy. What do you think? Are there legal issues as the person being invaded hasn't given any kind of permission? Are there legal issues regarding the site that supports and allows programs like this to be downloaded and used? Or is this something that can be done on the internet only without any kind of moral consequence?
This is not possible via addons so just don't think about it anymore.

Everyhting else possible, like group loot checking addons, where already mentioned in others answers here.
The game provides it, so one can use it. There is nothing wrong with it.
Even if there wouldn't be any addon officialy created for the mass one could create one, use the given API and use it personally for yourself.
If you want to change this ask ZOs to remove it please IN THE OFFICIAL FORUMS.
No addon here using this is violating the TOS and you accepted to play the game, with it's given API, so you accepted that this is possible as well.

I do not even see the problem. If one is writing to you about your loot just ignore it or friendly answer your opinion.
And remember: It's a game not the real life!

BTW there is a bill before the US Congress that doesn't allow sites arbitrary powers regarding their users' posts that do not violate site restrictions and arbitrarily delete posts and threads and kick users off the site without any kind of defense by that person for his posts, especially disabled people and people from different cultures. What do you think?

Your last thread, which you obviously refer to here, was about the players kicking you from groups because of your low DPS, if I remember correctly.

So I personaly think this depends on the reaction of the users writing comments in forums of video games:
If they persist on something and start a war over it without accepting the several answers with "facts", where themselves only provide "self created facts by eye and gusses, not using the given API functions", and having been told several times that this is nothing one can compare to anything in "this particular game", they shouldn't wonder that they get a relating treatment, or are ignored.
Especially if they were told several times and did not seem to accept it, repeating the same "self created facts" again and again and again...

regarding the addons that improperly collect and display DPS information
So would you please refrain from starting the same thread again IF YOU REFUSE using the provided game's API and collecting your numbers and stuff COMPARABLE to the other addon's, which use this data?

If the addons use the same API functions there even will be no need in calculating all again manually on your side? Just use the given API and calculate the values AS THE GAME TELLS YOU THEY ARE ACCEPTED BY THE GAME!
The addons do not lie, as they use GAME DATA, and your calculations just were "wrong" (wrong as you assumed something that the game did not do/provide, and you were not able to measure the network interfernces (ping/package loss) and other criteria the API provides).

Addons compare the SAME BASE and therefor speak the truth about your DPS (as the game recognizes what is hitting and what is not hitting; you cannot do this manually just via using your eyes or pen and paper!), if the addon devs do not add something like "if the username is xyz then always subtract 1000 dmg". And I never heard of such special addons just created to fool you

Don't get me wrong: No one said it's ok to kick players from groups because of DPS.
I don't like this but I'm able to ignore it and play with others. Simple solution.
But the data you collected to calculate your DPS was just incorrect and not the correct data the game uses internally (and thus addons use).
So whatever you will do or try, you either need to accept and adopt your gear (you were the tanky guy living longer but doing less DPS?), rotation and skills, or simply search other groups that will like your way of playing.

Writing about it in an addon forum will not help at all. Maybe re-start the fight in the official ESO forums instead...

I cannot speak for the official site owners here, but I pesonally would prefer you do not start the same thread again unless you have redone your calculations using the addons providng you your DPS and prooving with facts, details and re-usable information "ingame" that they collect their data wrong.
Maybe it's better to post this to the particular addon then instead of abusing a forum thread, as the addond ev will most likely be glad to see the wrong calculations information to fix it.

Last edited by Baertram : 08/03/20 at 02:54 PM.