View Single Post
06/30/19, 02:45 PM   #19
Drakanwulf

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thank you for your comments. They are appreciated.

Originally Posted by merlight View Post
This is inaccurate. Dependencies listed in "DependsOn" can be loaded from anywhere else, e.g. from live/AddOns/libX or any other (unrelated) add-on's subdirectory. The description of "OptionalDependsOn" further on that page correctly omits the word "subordinate".
The text has been corrected.

This is wrong. (Optional)DependsOn directives also affect execution order. If you don't list the dependencies there, and attempt to refer to a library from add-on before EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED, it will bite you.
The text has been corrected.

I'd replace "should" with "may". There's nothing wrong with keeping LibStub (3b) there.
The text has been expanded to explain why leaving LibStub(3b) in there can lead to unforeseen and unwanted problems. Here is a GitHub link to the screenshot library I built to document the WrathStone (100026) add-on loader confusion problem:

https://github.com/Drakanwulf/Add-on-loading-issue

The expanded answer to LibStub(3b) may also provide some insight into why leaving old, embedded, library add-ons in their old, possibly incorrect, packages could be a bad decision. It became the rationale for my following Baertram's lead and converting to "standalone" library and support add-ons as quickly as I could.

You should know that I took the time to reload all of the add-ons that I use and their libraries with the OOD checkbox turned OFF to learn from their packaging mistakes and oversights and to gain knowledge about how the game's add-on loader functions. It was my Don Quixote "windmill" project. I was able to complete my "windmill" successfully.

I apologize for the harsh wording I used when I made reference to complainers. BTW, you may wish to update the manifest and packaging for the "mer Torch Bug" add-on. I use that add-on a lot for research and debugging.

Last edited by Drakanwulf : 06/30/19 at 02:48 PM.