View Single Post
09/18/22, 01:36 AM   #16
rom4ster
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
I often read that there are so many issues and wonder why it's working fine for about most users since years?
I never had any issues with it since I have set it up in 2014. The only issue that occured was my Antirvirus/Firewall blocking it.

In short: Software cannot work properly if users do not allow it to work, ignore the described todos and howtos, or do not trust anything and block everything, and do not even want to read and understand it. If they only want the "this has to work!!!!" way, they should manually install the addons, or basically spoken "learn to read". Help is there and always around, all listed in a troubleshooting guide.

I know that Minion is having issues like sorting by date, and could get some features to make handling easier. But it works pretty well beside that if you let it work and respect the rules.

I also know that other addon managers could make it better but you do not see the downside:
Many addon managers or even addon websites make it impossible to handle them all for the addon devs, and the staff.
It's already hard enough to get the addons updated in time, we do not want to, and are not able to, support 20 other websites or tools.
They would also open up for exploits, bad addon code and virusses.

Minion could be made open source but I guess this would open up problems with the ESOUI website again (security).

I'm no expert here and I'm not developing Minion.
But I bet there are several technical (and maybe legal, contract, server access rules, traffic, performance, ...) reasons too, beside the missing time for the current Minon dev to improve stuff other than fixed libraries and security patches, why the esoui API was not made public for other tools.

So I partially understand your post here but please, if you write something like "slew of issues that Minion continually has and everyone experiences them":
Provide details and provide what was done already to solve it (Read troubleshooting and followed the steps there?) and we can maybe help.
Most of these issues can be fixed by the troubleshooting guide, and I personally do not know of any "total breaking" issue that Minion got (except maybe on Mac or other OS).

P.S.
This thread was moved to the Minion forum

First off you suck for promoting security by obscurity. Cmon, thats the basics, security by obscurity is not security at all. Next minion almost ALWAYS has problems. Esepcially if you are on a non admin user. It breaks frequently and you cant update it cuz its that broken. If you actively play the game then you may find it fine, but the people who need it the most, those who come back to find their 50 addons out of date, cant use it and have to go through the pain of re setting it up.