View Single Post
06/02/19, 10:55 AM   #8
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The problem I see with patches is that they are all stuck in the "Plug-Ins & Patches" category, which makes it hard to find them when browsing for something specific like "Chat Mods" for example. Using meta addons would also allow curated bundles of fixes that belong together for convenient installation - e.g. a tweak bundle for pvp, one for trials etc. Patches on the other hand would have to be found and installed by hand.

Another issue might be that most of these tweaks are likely just a few lines of code. In case it should also provide some settings and maybe even localization it's even more of a hassle. Authors will have to add lots of boilerplate code and players may end up with hundreds of separate addon menus for each of these tweak addons.

Maybe some sort of "micro tweaks" framework could help with that. A core addon provides the settings menu and other functions that may be reused between the individual tweaks. Thinking about it, I actually already do something like that with my Medic addon, just that the tweaks are not individual addons, but part of Medic.