View Single Post
07/24/22, 03:26 PM   #50
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by cyxui View Post
After couple weeks of attempt I have to say Patreon's API is just too awful to work with.

Firstly their documentation sux. Documentation only provide one sample payload with the most important piece missing and doesnt tell you what the payload might differ for different events.

Based on their documentation their trigger doesnt fire if user paused the pledge. Which means users can just create a pledge and then pause it before the payment is made. Patreon will still happily report that the user has pledged to the campaign.

Also they specifically mentioned that any fraud event will not trigger any trigger. I.E. you can just put in a fake card and the server will never know.

The way their API is designed right now is super developer unfriendly and requires too much manual labor. Unless people are ok with no perks I dont see myself working with that awful API/webhook until they made it better.
I've seen worse... The last time I looked into their API it was relatively straight forward (I use this package as well as their wordpress plugin), but I have to admit I don't use events or webhooks directly and only retrieved data about patrons on demand.
I also don't think it's possible to create a pledge without paying. Last time I checked you will be charged immediately when you pledge to someone, even if it's the last day of a month (in which case the patron will get charged twice and may ask you for a refund). On the off chance that someone pledges to get a reward and then asks their bank for a refund (= chargeback fraud, which afaik gets their bank account banned from patreon if they do it too often) you could still run a cronjob to sync the status via the api to lock them out after a while.