View Single Post
07/22/17, 01:15 AM   #6
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I think what Ayantir is trying to say is that new authors without any addon experience more often than not are just missing something and shouldn't start with asking ZOS for something and instead ask other authors in the general authoring discussion forum first. In your case it looks like you did your research, so I think it is fine. I also think the question is valid and hasn't been asked in that way before.

Sending incoming data to other machines is a direct violation of the TOS and allowing addons to access the filesystem would enable them to just do that. Addons like Tamriel Trade Center and Nirn Auction House are currently tolerated, but could be taken down at any moment. In the past they also took action to lock down functions that would allow to send data to other programs or users in an automated fashion (e.g. functions to copy to clipboard and send chat messages). This should tell you what their official answer to the question will be, but it won't hurt to ask and get it answered once and for all.

Aside from that, even with no way to use it for outside communication I would love to see a database backend inside the game. It would allow addons that heavily rely on data to considerably improve their performance (e.g. Master Merchant, Furniture Catalog). Being able to write sql queries would also reduce the amount of code I would need for some very specific usecases.