View Single Post
05/23/14, 05:13 AM   #18
zgrssd
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by thelegendaryof View Post
Good luck with getting a response! (not ironically ment)
Thanks.

Until the answer comes around (and I have time to actually do the work), some more planning. I think starting at the protocoll might be to much into detail. So I try to give a proper overview based on the OSI model:
OSI Layer 1 is the Member Notes. This is our data transmission layer. How stuff works "below" that is not our concern. But a way to detect non-connectivity here (Guild or Member note functions being disabeled temporarily) should be considered.

OSI Layer 2 - not sure we can have one in a multicast environment.

OSI Layer 3: Technically each guild is a seperate network. The same way servers and routers are often connected to multipe Networks via Multiple NIC, the Client might be connected to multiple networks via the 5 guilds it can have.

OSI Layer 4&5: Since this is entirely multicast (while we could make point to point communciation between Addons in specific clients, this would be tiresome) I don't think we need one. At least to begin with. It's worth considering for later.

OSI Layer 6: We have to avoid strings as much as possible, so we cannot just serialise tables with string indexes. How about making this layer all about mapping table to network and back?
I have something in mind for that, just need to bounce it back a bit in my head.

OSI Layer 7: The addon that sends or receives data.