View Single Post
06/26/14, 05:09 PM   #12
Harven

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hey,
I know this thread is related to your "PhinixUI" addons compilation but I saw you made a youtube video and someone linked it on reddit so people can think, that this solution will fix all theirs addons. Unfortunately this is not true and worse, it will destroy some addons saved variables. The following step is bad:
Originally Posted by Phinix View Post
Replace all instances of [[ with " and ]] with " for all files in \Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\SavedVariables. This will fix most problems.
It will work for addons you have included in your PhinixUI, but it will break some other addons, for example my Quest Journal. It's because some saved variables include " character inside the value, like this:
Lua Code:
  1. [1] = [[Valrendil's "wife" quickly rebuffed me when I questioned her, and Valrendil's "house" turned out to be an illusion of a High Elf house within the cave. I should tell Xijai-Teel of these strange happenings.]],
so replacing [[ and ]] with " will cause syntax errors and the quest data will be lost. Besides, the replacement is done by the ESO client automatically and when that happens all " characters are safely escaped with \". Can you please explain why you made an assumption that this step is necessary? If you don't see any reason then please make some corrections to the description/video so people will not lose their addons settings/data.

I hope this post will not make you feel offended as this was not my intention. You did some great work with your addons compilation, all these youtube videos and things I just wanted to explain the problem that arises when people do the replacement manually.