Thread: Minion on Linux
View Single Post
07/09/21, 03:39 PM   #22
[Daniel]
Originally Posted by Techwolf View Post
Update 3: I revisited this issue and found out the root cause of the error was missing openjfx from openjdk. Search for and install the openjfx package for the distro. For gentoo system, enable and openjfx USE flag and re-emerge openjdk. Got past the error but gets stuck at init. Can get to settings and so on, but the black popup will not go away. Can close the program normally.
Lots of great information in this thread, but Techwolf's update held the answer I needed to get passed the "Could not find or load main class gg.minion.Minion" error I was getting after first trying to launch Minion.

I'm a relatively new Linux user testing out Manjaro 21.07 (KDE Plasma) as my possible Windows replacement and finding that every moment is a learning opportunity.

Here's what I did (craddle to grave) in case the steps help someone else:
1) Installed ESO via Steam/Proton (steam pre-installed by Manjaro KDE)
2) Copied my pre-existing Windows Addon folder to the new Linux/Steam path... /home/<userid>/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/306130/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/AddOns/
3) Downloaded and extracted the Minion Java archive file to a Minion folder on my desktop
4) Used Manjaro's "Add/Remove Software" to install jre8-openjdk-headless 8.u292-1
5) Opened the Minion Folder on my desktop and launched a terminal from there
6) executed java -jar Minion-jfx.jar... and received the "Could not find or load main class gg.minion.Minion" error
7) Found Techwolf's note and used Manjaro's "Add/Remove Software" to install java8-openjfx 8.u.202-3 (quite possibly the only software I needed to install as it includes the JDK in its dependencies)
8) Returned to the terminal session at the Minion Folder and re-executed java -jar Minion-jfx.jar... Success!
9) copied the Null folder update over the original JAR
10) Returned to the terminal session at the Minion Folder and re-executed java -jar Minion-jfx.jar... Success!
11) I noticed Minions tree for navigating to the addon folder was not showing hidden folders, but found that if I clicked the pencil you could type/paste in your own path... /home/<userid>/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/306130/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/AddOns/
12) I watched in the terminal as it successfully parsed all my addons, but noticed that the UI didn't update with my ESO Addon list
13) Closed Minion and relaunched once more via terminal... java -jar Minion-jfx.jar... Success, ESO and it's addons listed as expected!
14) Added a minion.sh script to my desktop with the following code so I can click-to-launch (replace your userid for <userid>)
Code:
#!/bin/bash
cd /home/<userid>/Desktop/Minion/
java -jar Minion-jfx.jar

Last edited by [Daniel] : 07/09/21 at 03:55 PM.