View Single Post
09/02/22, 11:24 PM   #5
wookiefriseur

Talking

My main issue with Minion is no automatic dependency management. I have to install libraries myself. But other than that it runs fine.

Maybe suggest improvements or ask if you can help with development instead of focussing so much on the API stuff. The tone of your post makes it seem as if you have been asking the developers for years to do something and nobody listens to you.

The monopoly emerged naturally. At first there were multiple managers being used like Curseforge and NexusMods. But that meant that developers had to upload to multiple portals. In a parallel universe NexusMods came out on top .. or most addon authors host on GitHub and the AddonManagers just manage lists and the download process. But in this universe ESOUI just became the go to place. That's just how it goes.

Originally Posted by Bastion.NtB View Post
To make matters worse, you all seem to disallow access to the API.

API might be "private" but download scripts are not blocked and download links just use timestamps instead of nonces. That's why you can write your own download tool if Minion does not run on your system.

What exactly are you expecting from an API here? AddOn database queries and download links? That might be useful, but would require implementing personal API tokens and traffic limits, I guess. Because of the missing ad revenues.

I would prefer making Minion and the addon server Open Source instead.

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Minion could be made open source but I guess this would open up problems with the ESOUI website again (security).

If making the existing code Open Source introduces security flaws, then those flaws already exist and can be abused without anyone knowing that something is wrong. More people seeing the code and working on it can be very helpful. Also right now the code for Minion can be "decompiled" into plain text. It's not really secret.

Minion is not being updated, and it does have issues. I don’t think it would be beneficial to go over everything.

Why not?

The codebase is JAVA.... JAVA! I shouldn't have to explain why this is an issue.

Please do.