View Single Post
07/27/20, 09:18 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'd like to remember that addon devs are also users, so the same user rules would apply to them/us

what I would like to suggest is to start moderating your comments sections more strictly
I personally do not want to moderate the comments of addons I made or try to keep alive.
It's taking too much time to administrate or moderate. At least if you try to keep all "nice" and "with a good overview". I've learned this is not possible in forums, if you do not have anyone else doing this for you (having like a few hours a day to play, work on addons or just reading the forums).
I'll only delete comments that are off-topic, disturbing, or (in rare cases) are repeating the same questions just asked before (2 comments below e.g.).
You are free to handle this your way, but I'll just leave them in and follow the other way, described below:

As a kind of "best practice" which some addon authors already do:
I'd recommand the authors to write 1 comment, and ask Dolby to sticky this comment to their addon comments (as 1st comment, always shown).
Users/addon authors should read this as there you'll find current bugs, information, FAQ links etc.

But to tell the truth: Only less than the half, like 40%, will do so (even if it would be only 3 sentences) and click on links given there, answering their questions centralized.
The most just post another comment to "get their answer", no matter how often the same was asked or answered already.
It's a commonly spread way of forum interactions which I do not like at all, but it happens a lot.
Ppl just want to have a simple answer and a few do not even accept the "not possible" or "no", which you have mentioned should be very valid as well.

They should learn AND accpet that the world will not always bring personalized answers, without having to do anything for it.
We won't change this behaviour via addons nor comments nor moderating the threads.

And: I'd like to say thanks to the other ~60% of users/devs who do not behave this way! After all the community here is great and I like how it works.

Last edited by Baertram : 07/27/20 at 09:22 AM.