View Single Post
07/28/20, 01:47 AM   #8
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
In my experience, there are two components to how many comments you will get. If your addon has a problem (even if you are not aware of it), you can rest assured that people will comment, even if they do not have the ability to express what is wrong and you'll have to do some detective work. And with problem I'm not just referring to bugs. An example:

What users comment: "Is there some way to close all tabs in AGS?"
Me: "No, but you can just middle click them to close one."
Me after seeing these comments show up again and again: "Why would you need something like that? You shouldn't have more than a couple tabs open"
Users: "The search by item feature opens a new tab for each search and I only check the price then switch back to the sell tab without closing them."
Me: "Ahhh."
At first it would just sound like they are entitled and want something new, but after spending a few minutes to put together a question and waiting for some answers I found out it's a real problem they have. I would never have thought of that use-case on my own, since I rarely use the search by item and if I had just ignored them, the comments asking for a close all tabs feature likely would have continued to crop up on a regular basis.

The other component is how much you engage with with an addon and its comment section. From my observations it appears if you upload too often (more than once a week) and answer individual comments, you will just get more comments in return, even if they don't tell you anything new or useful. For the past few years I tried to upload at most once a week and answer comments only in bulk every few days and leave snide remarks unanswered without deleting them.

It seems to work pretty well and I have deleted 0 comments in the past six years (although I do feel a need to vent on gitter from time to time ).

EDIT: There's also one other important thing I almost forgot to mention. Whenever I write answers to comments, I keep the proverb "What goes around, comes around." in mind and try to phrase my answer accordingly. If you want the users be respectful to you, you absolutely need to be respectful to them, even if their initial comment doesn't invite you to that. In that case it's always best to just keep some distance and let your emotions settle for a while before writing an answer.

Last edited by sirinsidiator : 07/28/20 at 01:54 AM.