View Single Post
07/20/17, 09:16 AM   #49
jpdouble69
Originally Posted by silvereyes View Post
http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1...Reminders.html
http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1...tomTitles.html

I want to propose a compromise, since there are two wildly different points of view here and I don't want this to descend into something toxic.

Those two addons above will disable the libraries that are presumably so offensive. Let's see if they end up being popular at all. If they end up being popular, then the devs can use that information to evaluate if the libraries are doing more harm than good and either deserve to be removed or disclaimers need added.

If the addons above prove unpopular with the rest of the communtiy, then OP et al, please just use them yourself and let the poor devs be.
Well first of all, thank you very much! I downloaded both files and installed them. Is there a way i can test it on the client to see if it works or provide any feedback?
This way me and others can provide feedback in case it won't work in the future.

Also, I am wondering about commenting on Disable Custom Titles and posting additional informations like linking to this thread and giving examples of addons that heven't done any documentation of the EasterEgg.
I understand you want to stay neutral as much possible so i ask here if that is okay for you.

Originally Posted by iwontsay View Post
That definitely shows that these two libraries are only the part of a bigger issue and the reason why I proposed that addon descriptions should at least mention any additional functionality besides the intended one.

WORSE, Easter Eggs can bug. AFAIK one of them did bug on me. If it happens large scale, then you have a ****storm in the making where feces are wildly flung around, hitting people unrelated to the issue.
I second your concerns about this being a bigger issue especially after reading most comments here from addon authors that included "EasterEggs".

But it is a good starting point that these two new addons exists and can be found. I know a lot of players that test new addons like me and see it via Minion (sort by date).

Next step would be to inform a bigger community and posting it on ADD-ONS & UI MODS so more people can make up there on decision.

@Baertram
I edited and rephrased my starting post (+title) a couple of days ago - but the new title wasn't carried over in the forum list.

@Anceane
It is a discussion and controversy about a topic. The topic is if and how to inform users about addon functions.
If you crawl through every code before updating and not using Minion that's perfectly fine. Telling users to use "--" for things they don't know about in the first place is misleading. The discussion is not a drama, the "-- solution" you found for yourself isn't either nor your pretentious "we" is.