View Single Post
07/22/17, 03:36 PM   #54
ArtOfShred

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ultimately I think the issue here is that this is a hobby. I believe most authors strive to document their features and list all changes clearly. However in practice, in the amount of time it takes to code features or if you're handling a lot, its easy to forget small things you did. On top of that, its easy to be complacent or lazy about certain things.

I don't feel this is really an issue because authors are not held to some professional standard nor should they be. As long as an addon operates close to how its advertised thats fair enough game. You reserve the right to discontinue use of an addon if the way it is managed doesn't suit you.

I try to document most of what I do with LUI but theres a ****load of code packed in there, and a lot of old stuff I haven't had time to resort or deprecate where neccessary. It doesn't help I'm torn between enjoying the coding and the general game and the aggresive toxic marketing scheme they're running putting me so far off I can hardly stomach it. I'm sure theres plenty of things I've failed to document, but I just don't have the willpower to reorganize the addon description. Maybe if I decide to continue overhauling things down the line.

Also another thing to keep in mind here is most of us are stretched pretty damn thin. Relevant to the user base ESO probably has one of the smallest active addon development communties. If someone decides to stop working on their addon its entirely likely nobody is going to pick it up. Or in some cases one of us pokes at it a bit to keep it functioning with each API update.a