View Single Post
06/27/17, 01:13 AM   #16
Dolgubon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Jizargo View Post
Guess what? I made a request a long time ago for a fallout4 mod where you can shoot limbs off humans like you do synths/ghouls. Someone did the exact same thing and said "Do it your self" then when I explained I can't they replied with "too bad".

A few weeks later, that mod was created by someone who was inspired by my post.
Great, you were lucky in that case. But not every single case will be like that. (And tbh I don't think this case will be, imo there's enough use for it to be picked up by someone) Generally addon requests that are along the lines of 'I know there's this addon that does what I want but I don't want to use it because of this feature or that UI element' are ones that probably won't happen. But other requests that are nit-picky/will clearly take a massive amount of time for little gain are also unlikely to be seen. Making limbs on humans act similar to those on synths or ghouls? Probably just a few lines of code transferring certain features over. Or maybe a copy-paste job. Making an overhaul to the UI? Doing something that the API doesn't explicitly give functions for? Those kind of things take a lot more time and it's not something someone will probably pick up unless they have a personal interest in it.

Originally Posted by Jizargo View Post
So for the "Addon search" part, yes redirecting them to addons is fine. However the section ends with "Requests" therefor eliminating the idea or concept of people "doing things themselves". It's called REQUEST for a reason, and if you can't fulfill either the search or request then you have no right posting in this thread, let alone telling people to do it themselves.

And if it is so easy you believe a random person with no knowledge of LUA can do it, then why dont you just do it your self? You were willing to take the time to post in this thread, but you're not willing to take the time to program something so easy that you believe someone with no coding experience can do? Or perhaps you're both blatant trolls. Yeah, I'm guessing that's probably the case.
Making a standalone addon is a lot harder than modifying an existing addon. Someone with limited knowledge of lua can easily change a few values or lines of code to do what they want. Making an addon or even a patch implies you're adding some standards. Stuff you can customize, saved variables, etc. In the momento case, one user can make a script with some time that repeatedly uses one specific, hardcoded momento over and over again. It would take a lot more time to add support for other momentos, possibly make it usable from the list of momentos, etc.

Finally, I'd like to note that I'm not actually saying they need to do it themselves. I'm saying that's just likely the only way some requests might get done. http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7002 -> No answers. Well huh I dunno who's going to make that.Oh and also it wouldn't be the first time someone made an addon for themselves because no one else was making it, probably a good portion of addons here exist because of that.