View Single Post
06/29/19, 06:03 PM   #17
merlight
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Drakanwulf View Post
https://wiki.esoui.com/Addon_manifest_(.txt)_format
DependsOn

A space-separated list of subordinate add-on folder names ...
This is inaccurate. Dependencies listed in "DependsOn" can be loaded from anywhere else, e.g. from live/AddOns/libX or any other (unrelated) add-on's subdirectory. The description of "OptionalDependsOn" further on that page correctly omits the word "subordinate".

https://wiki.esoui.com/Addon_Structure
(3a) When you load any library add-on (e.g. LibStub) directly into your .../AddOns/... folder as a stand-alone, "new style" library, you should remove all references to its folder name in all DependsOn: or OptionalDependsOn: directives within any subordinate manifests ...
This is wrong. (Optional)DependsOn directives also affect execution order. If you don't list the dependencies there, and attempt to refer to a library from add-on before EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED, it will bite you.

(3a) ... and you should remove all its folders from within any subordinate folders. For example, (3b) is wrong; the LibStub folder should not be there.
I'd replace "should" with "may". There's nothing wrong with keeping LibStub (3b) there.

Here my constructive feedback ends.

If all you wish to do is to complain about the recent changes to how the game loads libraries and add-ons, then I suggest you start writing an add-on to force the game to revert back to how it used to load libraries and add-ons; that should keep you busy for the rest of your life!
Something tells me I should refrain from responding, but I can't leave this nonsense unaddressed. Nobody complains about changes to how the game loads libraries and add-ons. The question was about changes to how add-ons are packaged. A user asked why add-ons stopped bundling libs. "Because the game has this new AddOnVersion feature" is not a proper answer; the introduction of AddOnVersion made a more efficient method of bundling libraries possible; it didn't make the previously available methods of bundling-embedding or not-bundling libraries any better or worse, so why would anyone stop bundling because of that? The decision to stop bundling libs should not be blamed on changes to how the game loads libraries, because the not-bundling method was always available and doesn't exploit the AddOnVersion (yet).

Last edited by merlight : 06/30/19 at 04:12 PM.