View Single Post
07/21/17, 11:58 AM   #1
geisterfurz007
[outdated] Any ever so slight access to filesystem or databases

First of all: Yes I am aware of the potential misuse one could do if one had full access to the filesystem or even the Operating System which is why
Code:
io
and
Code:
os
most likely have been blocked from any use.

My use-case is not directly connected to the in-game UI but will involve a button to turn the feature I have in mind. This would be a service one could log-on to with a discord-server which would then either adjust the volumes of active people or move them in seperate channels based on the distance they are apart from each other which is something I would love to have and many RP-community members might agree.
However I already fail at one of the easier steps (at least based on what I was hoping): Somehow getting a location change out of the game so that I can use it in an external (web)service to proceed further on.

By now I failed using os, io and luasql.mysql.
The variable file could in theory only be used when the addon is unloaded which would make smaller location changes impossible to track.

I cannot see any problem with accessing a database from the first place (maybe I am missing anything though) as the change could only be observed by external programs that would have to run on the machine as well or on a webservice that could not directly harm the machine.
Another idea would be a (flag-)file with maximum one line of content that could be detected (which then would require an external program as well).

Last edited by geisterfurz007 : 07/21/17 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Suggestions