View Single Post
09/08/22, 12:09 PM   #12
waebbl
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
And how do we do that? What value do we create for the "company"?

Minion is free, esoui is free, so what is the problem with only having 1 tool (except if there really exist non fixable bugs).

Most bugs are fixable, workarounds exist, instructions to fix them too.
Maybe Linux is different (not sure what is not working but if you can provide more details to the devs they maybe are able to fix it) , also newer Mac OS versions need additional access rules.
You write the code for the addons which the site lists. The service of the site is the database of addons (listing, searching it, downloading). The addon devs make this possible, that's the value of the site. How one can monetarize this is a different question. The value's there, whether it has a good monetizing strategy or not.

Originally Posted by wookiefriseur View Post
Not defending the closed source mindset of our "big corporate overlords" here, but just because it doesn't run in cases it wasn't initially designed for, does not mean it's deficient.

Have you tried any of the steps mentioned in https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthr...?t=8500&page=2 . Or did you try the python script (also mentioned there), that seems to be a tolerated alternative for now?
Doesn't look like the big company I was assuming (see post from Dolby). It was designed with java, which, for many, many years had 'Code once, run everywhere' as one of their slogans. When it doesn't run out of the box with the system java of any OS, it's design can be assumed to be deficient. But I just noticed the jfx installation for my system is also flawed and is missing webkit support which is why Minion is not running.

I tried several of the options mentioned in the thread before I read about them (lutris, installing javafx) but without success so far. The python script, while it has some use, is not the thing I'm looking for. It doesn't help me with the most time-consuming part. I still need to lookup all addons manually and need to check the latest available version against my currently installed versions.

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
The Minion API is not closed, no authentication is required to access it, how are we disallowing access?
There might be no authentication required, the API not closed, but it's well hidden and not to be found with some advanced google searching. Like you wrote there seems to be some more hacking needed or perhaps an already working installation of Minion to get to that.

There is just no documentation or support for it other than Minion right now. There are some addon updaters for wow that researched where its located and were able to follow how the API works easily. I will say though if your updater starts using resources we can not support we may need to rate limit or temp block it until a solution is found to be able to support it. So please be careful in how you design it and make it as efficient as possible. The 3rd party wow addon updaters that use it now have done an ok job and we haven't had to do anything yet.
Now this sounds different than the Terms of Service and offers at least a chance to give it a try and, with careful design, not get banned immediately. Thanks!

Minion v4 is planned to be open source (also have dep support) but time just keeps slipping away and things are more difficult than you might think. sirinsidiator has put a ton of work into it.

With that said we are far from a large company (Cairenn and I are the owners and the only employees) and make enough to pay for the resources our sites use and that's about it. We might seem like a large company its just we've been around for 20yrs now and built websites for games we like and don't shut them down unless the game company shuts the game down.
Glad to hear that you want to go open source with your next release. I'm sure, that this move will actually help you in improving the software.

Well the company looks a lot bigger with all the sites, assuming they're all similar to esoui.com in functionality. Well done!