View Single Post
02/28/20, 04:23 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
As I'm overriding the event, I'm using the original identifier. I would use a new name (such as my addon's) if I wanted to add another event to the existing one. [That's my understanding of the API.]
Right. As yo u have removed the original function with the unregister already: adding it new with your own addon's tag should work and identifies your addon instead of telling others "this is ZO's code".

to match the recent changes from the libs.
The ## AddOnVersion: <unsignedInteger> tag was already added with the Summerset patch.
This was the time as LibStub got obosolete but was used in a wide range of addons already.
But the better approach is to use the own txt file of a dependency and let the ingame vanilla ZOS addon manager handle this to only load the newest version of a dependency.

I wonder if an addon loading those lib files for itself helps prevent compatibility issues, as would happen from regularly updating into newer releases. (Something I had to deal with and fix with LAM2 before.) Might be more luck than brains.
"An addon loading those lib files for itself" = hardcoded library file names called from your addon's manifest txt file?

This can work fine IF you update your addons properly at the same time as the dependencies update.
And this only works as long as the library LibStub is still used for these dependencies. It will assure that the newest version of the dependency is loaded.
AS LibStub is obsolete and is telling you that ingame already with the latest patch you should remove the usage in your addons, where possible now.
And change it to the vanilla UI usage of dependency's manifest txt file -> ## IsLibrary: true, ## AddOnVersion <unsignedInteger> tags.

If you do not update the libraries shipped with your addon, and they do not have an own txt file to assure the newest version installed somewhere else is loaded prior to the embedded old files: the same thing will happen as mentioned in multiple threads, e.g.
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8970
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8969

Whatever solution is more apoplicable for you, it's up to you. imo it's easier to make this work with the vanilla UI stuff than having to check and update the files at each patch manually to assure it works. That's not the idea of libraries, at least not for those that are commonly spread and got a wide usage.

Last edited by Baertram : 02/28/20 at 04:30 AM.