View Single Post
01/24/21, 10:51 PM   #16
marlonbrando
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
I have the same lag in PVP areas with and without addons. Only the loading screens get longer if I enabled more addons.
I doubt the lag is created by addons. It could be if the mappings are coming in too often. But I have the same fps and network lags without any addons enabled. Maybe "it's because of the mass" using such addons but I remember the time before map pings were used and I got the same headache and lags
I'm not suggesting that any-old-addon would cause lag or even that map pings cause all of the lag. I do think it's a possible contributory factor to lag when engaging with ball groups which rely on map ping communication. Some tools seems like they are pinging a couple times a second.

Addons which use map pings have been part of the game for quite some time. I just checked my git logs for my addon and see that the first checkin was about three years ago. I'd been using similar addons at least six months before that time.

But, regardless, if ZoS still wanted to experiment with things that could reduce lag then I think that's one thing they could try. I wouldn't be happy because it would break my addon but I would be happy if it caused ball groups to become less steam-rollery.

ZoS could also throw us a bone and provide us with a sanctioned (even if restricted) way to communicate a limited amount of information between group members but, given how much they have on their plate, I'm sure that would be something they'd never do, even if they thought it was an ok idea.