View Single Post
08/23/18, 08:35 PM   #4
SlippyCheeze
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I can identify several high-bandwidth methods of player-to-player data transfer, though they do have some drawbacks...

The most obvious is group and use libGroupSocket to transmit data. Slow, relatively speaking, but depending on your volume, not that slow. However, grouping probably kills it.

You can use chat -- whisper the target -- and transmit high volume data fairly quickly, even accounting for flooding limits. However, this requires the sender to hit enter every time you need to perform a send operation. If this is a one-shot-and-done sort of thing, that probably works.

You can use mail. I know you can send the stuff without human interaction, given another addon doing it for crown crate drop rate tracking, and the bandwidth of a mail is fairly large. I don't know if you can read it without the other player opening their mailbox, however, which may make it a bit more cumbersome.

I'd personally start by investigating the mail option: you can put an explanatory header in place, you can send fairly high bandwidth, and relatively frequent, messages, and you can certainly automate the other party ingesting the mail with your addon. Depending, you may even be able to communicate the data in a way that both humans and machines can process.

You could certainly use chat / whisper to handshake before the mail started, too, if you wished: an automated message to confirm they have your addon, and then the data exchange can proceed from there...