View Single Post
07/14/17, 06:09 AM   #22
Sounomi
I find this whole topic pretty disgusting. On one side you got someone that's noticed that popular add-ons are using libs that do nothing but change the game's behavior without the user's knowledge and on the other you got add-on authors that feel that they have the right to abuse their add-ons so they can feel better about themselves with personal titles.

You bring up how no one's complained about them? In the case of LibCustomTitles, there's merely just not enough people in there to be noticed on a regular basis, especially on NA. But there has been people that have noticed and have complained about it. I suppose it never got to the add-on authors because people aren't aware of who to blame. That's certainly the case with the OP here.

Then there's LibAnnyoingUpdateNotificationInGame, which certainly does what its name implies quite well and annoys its users. People I've talked to about it thought it was just something ZOS put into the game but upon learning that it's from add-ons, including ones that haven't been updated in months, they were rather annoyed to learn about its nature.

You guys can go along and argue how much you have the right to put this stuff in here and how you deserve to do it but that doesn't make it any less wrong for doing it. You say you do these things because you do so much for the community and how little add-on authors there is but have you ever thought about the other way around? What if you stopped maintaining old add-ons that other people made? Its not like you're the only ones out there and if it became a big enough issue, new people would surely come along and pick it up themselves. Instead you pick it up almost immediately after the author can't handle it anymore then gripe about how many add-ons you absolutely have to maintain all by yourself when you could easily just find someone else to do it. There's certainly been other add-ons that have fizzled out but picked up new maintainers, maintainers that haven't even posted an add-on on here before. So quit acting like you're the damn saviors of the add-ons on here and the only people here that can keep things going because you're not. Frankly, your horrible attitude here likely helps to push people away. I know it has affected me. While my personal life hasn't always allowed me to work on things, I have wound up producing some rather sophisticated add-ons for myself and have shared them with friends but never got around to posting any of them here out of fear of having to deal with the other authors here that have such a self-righteous mentality to themselves.

Oh and don't act like it'd take a lot to allow the users to disable these libs either. You can easily throw in a single global variable that can be set by any add-on that tells the lib to not initialize. Of course, there's other brute force ways to prevent them from loading too and saving users the time to sift through all of their add-ons to find these libs that otherwise serve no purpose than to allow the authors to bask in pitiful e-glory at the user's displeasure. Honestly, just having produced an add-on that people love and couldn't live without would be enough to make feel great. I seem to remember Garkin having that sort of attitude as well and I still view him as the greatest add-on author we ever had.