View Single Post
07/17/17, 05:17 PM   #34
silvereyes

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm not sure how much I can/should contribute to this, but I'll give it a shot.

I personally am not a huge fan of hidden stuff in addons that I write. I've been known to throw in the odd April Fools joke, but it's often more trouble than its worth, and I always at least have a slash command toggle to turn it off.

As for whether it is moral or not to include the library with no way to opt-out, I don't really see an issue with it. It's a harmless cosmetic thing with almost no performance impact. Game developers have been putting in fun easter eggs to their code since the dark ages, and this isn't really any different.

Could it potentially be abused to harass players? Sure, I guess. But that's a clear violation of the TOS and would almost certainly lead to a ban if an addon author did that.

As for the matter of providing a toggle for the custom titles library, that's not really possible unless every single addon with that library offers it. Libraries are stubbed out so that only the first addon to load it will actually load the code. There's no way in ESO to force your addon to load first. I guess it's technically possible to make yours load after all the others with the library - if you take on the daunting task of adding every single one as an optional dependency and then maintaining that list - but some of those addons might depend upon your addon, creating a circular dependency.