View Single Post
07/18/17, 10:24 PM   #40
iwontsay
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm an addon author myself. And for a living, I do write code which ends up in security applications.

So you can imagine that hidden/undocumented functions are a big NO in my books.

Just see it from the user's perspective - the game starts behaving in an unexpected manner, in these specific cases titles being replaced or popups showing up where there were none, and on the first glance you don't see a culprit.

Worse, if the popups happen often enough, it just feeds the "Windows reflex" of clicking "OK" whenever a dialog opens. And that's the root cause of many security related issues, since serious warnings get clicked away as well.

When trying to track down the culprit of any unexpected behavior, it is a pain in the ass to search through the complete installed addon base because any of them could contain the code guilty for it.

Sure I appreciate to see the odd Easter Egg and addon authors giving each other some sort of recognition. But I'd like to see it mandatory that ALL of the addon's functionality should at least be mentioned in the addon description. One-liners in the addendum may suffice, like
  • May contain Easter Eggs
  • Contains LibAddonMenu, for a description see (URL)
  • Contains LibAnnoyingUpdateNotification

After all, it is a measure of gaining/keeping trust as well, to be completely up front with what the addon does.

Last edited by iwontsay : 07/18/17 at 10:26 PM.