View Single Post
12/09/20, 06:54 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Sharlikran View Post
ZOSDanBaston said the UI is purely Lua and that unless it is private or protected you can do whatever you want unlike keyboard mode.
I think you got this wrong Sharlikran.
He said the "item tooltip" is pure lua and you are able to alter it, unlike Keyboard mode where you can only add text lines and alter a few things like text colour or icon.
The "total UI" is no only lua in gamepad mode as you are pretty easily able to see with this example:
https://github.com/esoui/esoui/tree/...game/inventory

There is a gamepad and a keyboard folder.
Both provide XML files, where 1 is used for gamepad mode and the other for keyboard.
So there IS xml for the UI and it's name is (in the most cases) different from Keyboard.

Often the classes and objects created differ only at the end, where _KEYBOARD or _GAMEPAD was added.
Example:
PLAYER_INVENTORY -> Keyboard mode
GAMEPAD_INVENTORY -> Gamepad mode
Even the contents look differently then. There is e.g. no GAMEPAD_INVENTORY.inventories but PLAYER_INVENTORY.inventories

Same relates to scenes & fragments (where the name might be sceneNameKeyboard or seneNameGamepad, but they mustn't).
Example:
Using fragments like INVENTORY_FRAGMENT or CRAFTBAG_FRAGMENT added to a scene, instead of own sccenes -> keyboard mode
Using also fragments like GAMEPAD_INVENTORY_FRAGMENT added to a base scene GAMEPAD_INVENTORY_ROOT_SCENE - Gamepad mode

Often the code of gamepad differs a lot from the heyboard code as the UI and the events in the background differ as well.
That said: I never really looked into the gamepad mode any further as I do neither own a gamepad nor do I want to take these big steps to review the code twice + support twice as much bugs and features But I wanted to share my insights so far, which pretty much sums up why I never worked on the gamepad support (+ simply missing time and user amounts playing with gamepad on PC).

Last edited by Baertram : 12/09/20 at 07:01 AM.