View Single Post
05/04/14, 10:43 PM   #11
Qwynn
Usually I support toggle options for certain things, as gods know I've asked for quite a few of them, but in the case of TESO and nameplates, I'm actually against it.

Yes, I can understand why people want them and yes, I've used them religiously in past games.

Here's the thing, though: We don't actually need them, and I honestly believe it would detract from the game.

You could limit or disable the nameplates in PVP, sure, but that's only part of the issue. PVE also needs to be taken into consideration, and here's why: if nameplates were implemented as a toggle, anyone who decided not to use nameplates would be at a technical disadvantage than the people who did. It suddenly changes how the game is played by completely changing how the player interacts with their environment. Anyone who preferred the original style sans nameplate toggle is then handicapping themselves (and thus their group) because of this.

And let me tell you, no one wants to be grouped with someone intentionally making things more difficult for themselves (and thus everyone else).

Edit: I also don't consider chat bubble and nameplates to be in the same vein, as the former do not fundamentally alter gameplay, so there is no reason to have them as a toggle if they are implemented in the same theme as the current minimal UI.

Last edited by Qwynn : 05/04/14 at 10:45 PM.