Thread: Minion on Linux
View Single Post
09/09/19, 11:55 AM   #6
Techwolf

Just found this thread. I will add my two cents. :-D

I run minion from the command line. What I ended up doing a year and half ago was installed Oracle version 9.0.4 of java as the open source version did not work graphics wise. It did ran, but the UI was all messed up.

My OS is gentoo and CPU is currently Threadripper.

I installed Oracle java using the guild from the wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Java

I su to the steam user. I use a different user from the main to keep things seperate as games have a bad habit of doing things the users does not want. So running a seperate user is recommended on Linux systems.

Manually download the .jar and place in ".wine_Tamriel/drive_c/users/steam/Local Settings/Application Data/Minion/app/" Note on my sytem, I installed it using the .exe and hence why the full path to the normal install. It was later I found the GUI bugs.

I did not set the system wide java as I wanted the default java to be not oracle, so my command line is:

Code:
steam@laptop ~ $ /opt/oracle-jre-bin-9.0.4/bin/java -jar ".wine_ESO/drive_c/users/steam/Local Settings/Application Data/Minion/app/Minion-jfx.jar"
Getting minion to find the right place for the addons was tricky and I forgot how I did it. See previous posts for tips on getting minion to find the right place where the addons should be.

I have been running minion like that for over year with only one issue, you must update from the first window, using the update button from sub-windows will not work. Example is clicking on the addon and reading the change log and updateing from there does not work.

Update: Gentoo removed oracle bin version 9.0.4 for security issues. So one may have to manually install version 9.04. Will be testing other versions.

Update 2:
Tested oracle version 1.8.0.202: works
Tested icedtea version 3.13.0: failed with "Error: Could not find or load main class gg.minion.Minion"
Tested openjdk version 11.0.4: failed with "Error: Could not find or load main class gg.minion.Minion
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javafx/application/Application"

Update 3: I revisited this issue and found out the root cause of the error was missing openjfx from openjdk. Search for and install the openjfx package for the distro. For gentoo system, enable and openjfx USE flag and re-emerge openjdk. Got past the error but gets stuck at init. Can get to settings and so on, but the black popup will not go away. Can close the program normally.

Update 4: I revisited this again. Turns out gentoo javafx does not enable webkit. I copied the javafx ebuild to my local setup. Edited the ebuild to enable webkit and re-emerge javafx and openjdk. It now works with openjdk-11.

Last edited by Techwolf : 03/05/22 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added one fix for the error