View Single Post
08/21/15, 11:25 AM   #13
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Please also keep in mind that the maximum upload speed should be configurable as otherwise (if larger SavedVariables files will be sent) your ingame experience will be very laggy
Not every connection to the internet is uploading synchron with multiple mbits. Most of them still are asynchron and only send a maximum of ca. 100kb / s with maximum upload speed.
So sending a 600 kb file in the wrong moment (boss fight) could be really crap :-)

Originally Posted by haggen View Post
I'm working on such software http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4934

I haven't updated the thread yet but I have had some real progress.

The current concept is this:

The add-on manifest gets a new keyword "ArgonianUploadEndpoint", see an example:

Code:
## Name: ...
## ...
## ArgonianUploadEndpoint: <endpoint>
Once the user has the software -- Argonian -- running, it scans add-ons with said configuration and sends its saved variables to back to the add-on owner. Then it saves the last-modified-time of the file to avoid sending the same data twice, and awaits the files to change, when it repeats the operation.

It'll even accept URL or e-mail as endpoints, where it'll upload or send the file as an attachment accordingly.

I believe I'm somewhere around 70% of completion, maybe 2 weeks until a first version.

It's taking me sometime because of a couple of reasons; a) it's been a while since I last worked with .NET, so I'm still getting the hang of things; b) I work over full-time on my own job which leaves me with rare times during the week and most of the weekends to work on it; and c) I realized in the middle of the work that I needed to figure out some things before continuing (as you can see in my thread, I considered spinning up a server, which now I discarded).