View Single Post
01/04/15, 10:48 PM   #2
katkat42
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Welcome to the madness that is ESO addon coding! Folks here tend to be quite polite, especially by MMO standards. I suggest downloading ZO's official API function list, which is attached to this post on the official forums, and getting the Zgoo addon, which lets you look at the global namespace in-game. (Some people have also reverse-engineered the game files to read ZO's lua code for the vanilla UI. If you think that might be helpful, there's folks here who can help you privately.)

It is notoriously hard to get addon data out of a user's instance of the game. Outside the game, you need to rely on parsing the SavedVariables file, which only gets written at initial load, logout, and /reloadui . Lua's file manipulation is disabled in the ESO client, and even copying data to the system clipboard was made a private function in the last update.

In-game, you have a few more options, but not many. Any in-game chat message needs to be sent via a keyboard stroke, though you can pre-populate the chat input buffer. In-game mail can be sent automatically, though that might change after this incident; also, you run into issues having to do with delays for in-game "mail received" notifications. And I know of at least one addon that passes messages via guild member notes.

I hope this helps!