Thread: ESOUI Discord
View Single Post
06/01/17, 05:43 PM   #25
Randactyl
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Harven View Post
Hey Randactyl,

Community owned Discord server can't be abandoned because it's owned by community and not single person or group of persons related to one company. I will gladly grant admin roles to known to me, trustworthy authors and they can pass it on.
The design of Discord's permissions system limits the validity of the first statement.

Discord servers allow only one owner. The owner is the person who created the server or the person the previous owner promoted into the role.

In an official case, the server owner would be @MMOUI#2137 or @ESOUI#4356 and some number of staff would have access to the account. In the community case, the server owner would be @SomeAuthor#2348. What happens if a single individual with access to one of these accounts becomes incapacitated in some way?

The Administrator role permission somewhat mitigates the community owned scenario, but it introduces its own issues.

Someone of role A cannot promote another person to role A. They can only create/modify roles below role A. If role A is granted the Administrator position by the server owner, users of role A can create role B below them and grant it the Administrator permission.

Play that situation out for a number of years. Is it not unsustainable at worst and highly messy at best?

Also, no offense, but who the heck are you? Why do you get to judge who gets power and who doesn't? We as authors have next to no accountability in this environment. MMOUI/ESOUI staff have some incentive to do right by users so that they do not lose ad revenue due to some moderation scandal.

I already gave an example of abanoned in-game guild officially created by mmoui staff.
I gave 618 examples of abandoned projects created by authors, which you quoted but might have missed?

On the opposite site there is the gitter which is community owned and is doing very well
I explained how the Gitter situation is different, but you conveniently did not quote my entire response. I said "author moderation has been okay for Gitter because there aren't any users and we don't do anything crazy." In addition to that, none of us really have any administrative powers nor are there any administrative duties to take care of. There are no roles to assign, there are no users harassing us, and we don't harass each other.

Can't see a reason why unofficial, community owned one can't be advertised that way. Besides as you probably know there is an official esoui IRC channel, can't see it being advertised on the website Actually it requires some effort to find any info about it.
It could be. But I would think there are business concerns with endorsing and providing prominent links to a forum that you have no moderation stake in. In one case, a community server can pose a security issue for users. Discord is something that generally stays open all the time. It is not unthinkable to mistakenly post a password and then scramble to delete it (I've seen it happen and have done it once myself). Community Discord servers tend to have bots that assist in moderation. These bots have the ability to show the text of deleted messages to admins and to users with the needed permissions.

Like Dolby said, the IRC channel and Gitter chat are not advertised because they are not for wide use. They are focused for developer use, and we have all found our way to both of them either through forum search or being told when asking a question. Gitter is even linked on the front page of the wiki.

We as a community can advertise it in our own channels. Can post info about it in official eso forums, advertise it in our guilds and so on.
That's all very true, but bumps up against my points about maximizing exposure and providing a semblance of legitimacy (which you again left out when quoting me).

I believe we are grown community, we don't need a kindergarten, we can handle moderation and we can shape that discord server to best fit our needs.
And I believe a large number of us (authors, since that is the concerned party) take extended breaks from this volunteer environment. That doesn't bode well for stability.

Look, this started as asking whether a Discord server existed. OP was pointed toward Gitter instead and was satisfied with the answer. Others have since joined the conversation and attempt to define a use for an ESOUI Discord server with the reality that we already have an established and still active dev-focused area. That niche is a user-focused environment.

I hope you can join in the constructive conversation rather than just defend the server you jumped to make.