08/14/15, 06:44 AM   #1
Wandamey
Obsolete addon and minion

one of my addon, StolenBorders will become completly useless because the issue i handle in there is addressed in Eso 2.1

If i understand, minion will update only up to date addons? but i don't want to change the api because the addon need to go in the out of date category.
but on the other hand i'd rather have people downlod a blank file instead of running unecessary functions.

Is there a way to do both for minion users who will never look at the description page?
08/14/15, 07:20 AM   #2
QuadroTony
Banned
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
jusr moove it to discontinued category
08/14/15, 07:44 AM   #3
Wandamey
and how will that replace the current file with a blank file? i'm sure people are allowing out of date addons, especially right after a ESO version change.

if the solution is to update the API, thanks (sarcasm), i can think of it myself, i'm asking for an alternative here.
08/14/15, 07:57 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
You can increase the API and provide a new version + file which's only content will be an annoying onscreen message that this addon is not neaded anymore and ppl should deinstall it

And after some days/weeks move it to outdated then.
08/14/15, 08:02 AM   #5
Wandamey
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
You can increase the API and provide a new version + file which's only content will be an annoying onscreen message that this addon is not neaded anymore and ppl should deinstall it

And after some days/weeks move it to outdated then.
lol that's what i have done for now, except it's just the addon title in the addon list, I note the in game screener as a must do

no seriously, it's weird to have to pass it in "not out of date" to warn people that it's out of date. I mean come on, people ain't even able to use their trophies properly. How are they gonna understand this?

Edit : Well nevermind, people who use this were clever enough to find it in the first place he he, they'll read the change log one day or another. I'll stay API 100011 and upload a blank file with an alert in the addon title for the laziest of them.

Last edited by Wandamey : 08/14/15 at 08:38 AM.
08/14/15, 08:36 AM   #6
merlight
Perhaps a simple-enough although unintuitive solution would be adding a fake version checkbox titled "OBSOLETE" to "AddOn Compatibility" section, then Minion could prompt users to uninstall add-ons with this flag.
08/14/15, 08:42 AM   #7
Wandamey
Originally Posted by merlight View Post
Perhaps a simple-enough although unintuitive solution would be adding a fake version checkbox titled "OBSOLETE" to "AddOn Compatibility" section, then Minion could prompt users to uninstall add-ons with this flag.
i thought of this before posting here instead of "minion" section, but it'll be a bother for very few addons.
edit, though not exactly, just add a real checkbox in the addon edit options to tell if it's compatible with the current game version and report in minion with the prompt.-- lol it's the same thing in the end i guess but how is it unintuitive?

although if it is thought as the same time as the possible "UI Fixes" category, it may be an investment for later.

ReRe edit, just call the checkbox "prompt to delete?" and it becomes simple enough and highly intuitive
prompt would say something along the lines : the author recommends that you uninstall this addon with the current version of ESO + link to description page and uninstall button.

Last edited by Wandamey : 08/14/15 at 09:11 AM.
08/14/15, 09:13 AM   #8
Ayantir

You can also add before 2.1 goes live a small thing in your addon at EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED :

Lua Code:
  1. if GetAPIVersion() == "100012" and not myAddon.db.outdated then
  2.     d("Hello, my addon is now outdated because Elder Scrolls Online doesn't allow anymore .. this and that. Because this fuctionnality is now removed, this addon don't have any utility for now, please disable it. Thanks for using this addon !")
  3.     myAddon.db.outdated = true -- SavedVars
  4. end
08/14/15, 09:19 AM   #9
Wandamey
oh nice didn't think of a version check right now.
gonna make this, no message but just avoid activating the hooks if not 100011 and it'll be all good.

and this addon became obsolete because of a fix of ESO UI. so all good news (for this one at least).

if someone else wonders... on load :

if GetAPIVersion() ~= 100011 then return end
a little testing now but it should make me happy. Thx Ayantir -- edit : the function returns an integer

Last edited by Wandamey : 08/14/15 at 09:43 AM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Obsolete addon and minion