09/09/22, 04:30 PM   #1
TagCdog
Addon related slowness/crashes

Hi All,

I actively run ~250 addons (including libraries) and think they all add to my ESO experience. My issue is that it can take 2-5+ minutes per character to load into the game. In addition, the game regularly crashes to the login screen when loading a character or logging out.

If I clear out my saved variables folder, the crashes when logging in/out usually stop for a time at the expense of setting up a lot of my addon settings again.

If I disable all my addons, the game rarely (if ever) crashes and my load times are very fast at the expense of playing vanilla ESO.

Is there some generic help to resolve the crashing and load times, or is that the burden I am taking on by using so many addons?

Thanks!
09/09/22, 11:48 PM   #2
Masteroshi430

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by TagCdog View Post
Hi All,

I actively run ~250 addons (including libraries) and think they all add to my ESO experience. My issue is that it can take 2-5+ minutes per character to load into the game. In addition, the game regularly crashes to the login screen when loading a character or logging out.

If I clear out my saved variables folder, the crashes when logging in/out usually stop for a time at the expense of setting up a lot of my addon settings again.

If I disable all my addons, the game rarely (if ever) crashes and my load times are very fast at the expense of playing vanilla ESO.

Is there some generic help to resolve the crashing and load times, or is that the burden I am taking on by using so many addons?

Thanks!
Some addons write a lot of things in the saved variables, I recently triggered a "loading forever" situation by spamming infos in the chat (to me not to other users) because the addon pChat saves all your recent chat messages. The pChat saved variables file was 4790266 lines long and I had to edit it to avoid resetting my pChat settings.

I know LibHistoire also saves a lot of data, there's also a plethora of GSxxData.lua files which are from AwesomeGuildStore I think...

Maybe you can check your SavedVariables folder and order files by descending size and you will then know which addons increase your loading times the most.
09/12/22, 10:51 PM   #3
TagCdog
Hey Masteroshi430,

Thanks for the info! I wanted to follow up and ask the impact of purging amassed data like the LibHistoire saved variable? Is there any reason to keep data dating back to "all time" vs the 10-day reset?

As for other large saved variables, I restricted TOM to only keep 1 or 3 days of messages depending on if it is a DM or guild chat. I didn't realize that chat addons basically have to load in all the saved messages while logging in, but it makes sense. So far I have noticed some improvement in the lack of crashing.

Is there a better way to trim the data of some of these larger addons?
09/13/22, 02:34 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Some addons provide purge settings, some history may day settings, other do not provide such settings.
In the latter case you can logout, backup your SavedVariables folder and delete the files of these addons in it to rebuild them.

Attention: this will reset other non history settings too in most cases.
If you do not want to keep guild store sell data older than 10 days as they are outdated and of no value for your sold items data you can setup addons like MasterMerchant etc. (using LibHistoire) to only keep that time frame, or delete the LibHistoire file (which will rescan all and might take some time and manually pressing the E keybind at the guild store sell history (to fetch more data).

Same for other big SV files. Check your folder if you still load these addons and if you do try their ingame settings to strip old chars/data or delete the SV files (while logged out!) and let them rebuild them.

Btw: Chat addons and any other addon load each SV file as you login, plus they will write them to disk from ingame memory at each reloadui or loading screen of a zone switch. This will make loading slow if you got addons enabled with the large SV data tables.
You should disable all addons you do not need while playing and only enable them as you need them. Create profiles with AddonSelector for example and use them for normal questing (disable crafting addons, and guild addons, sales addons). And my website end addons for dungeons and combat as you play them. This will increase game loading times a lot. I personally only use like 10 addons during normal game play and switch within 20 seconds between the profiles if I need it (20 seconds with a Ssd instead of a normal hard drive, and about 100 addons and libs active then, including LibHistoire for 5 guilds (but only 2 real sell tracked guilds, so with 5 of them loading time could increase due to bigger LibHistoire and TTC and MM data files).

Last edited by Baertram : 09/13/22 at 05:19 AM.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Addon related slowness/crashes