06/02/19, 02:51 PM   #1
derat
pChat - needs help.

Anyone looking/trying to take over for this addon. Seems it's been abandoned and starting have issues.
06/03/19, 05:54 AM   #2
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I have a feeling that pChat has grown too big over the years and taking it over is too big of a task. Maybe it is time to dismantle it and have several smaller addons cover all the different features?
06/03/19, 05:34 PM   #3
eventHandler
I'm not sure the features make a lot of sense on their own. Maybe you could have one that alters the appearance of chat, and one that saves/restores chat sessions (which would by necessity also include the timestamp feature). I know there are already various libraries that deal with saving/loading data, even turning it into binary/compressed, but I haven't looked at pChat's source to see how beneficial/difficult it would be to abstract out functionality to libraries.
06/04/19, 03:49 AM   #4
sirinsidiator

I agree that some features simply belong together, but there are also quite a lot of features in pChat, that could as well be a smaller more focused addon.

The whole chat appearance feature could easily be its own addon. Chat window size, background colour, fade behaviour, font and size, text colour, channel format etc.

Guild chat modifications like showing a different tag for the guild nickname, changing the order of guild channels (/g1 - g5), controlling how member names are shown, might be something for a smaller focused addon?

The message history and adding timestamps are something LibChatMessage can already do, but not in a way that is compatible with pChat. That's why those two features are disabled by default.

Command history could be introduced into LibSlashCommander.

I am not sure how relevant anti-spam still is. It also seems to be a bit buggy as it can end up hiding messages that you actually sent. Probably big enough a topic for a separate addon that focuses solely on it.

Copying chat messages is covered by Chat2Clipboard, although it doesn't offer a way to copy the whole chat at once (yet).

Whisper notifications, showing whispers while chat is minimized, maybe also handle name mentions in the same way. Never used that feature, but could probably hold up as its own addon for those who need it.

Settings sync could probably be its own addon that doesn't handle just chat alone, but can copy all kinds of settings between characters like keybinds and other ingame settings that are saved per character.

Automated messages could easily be a full addon with all kinds of features like reacting to events and prefilling the chat accordingly. E.g. a new member joining a guild puts a personalized message into the chat input.

Automated channel switching based on the current context is also a nice feature. Maybe something for a tweak addon as discussed here.

Nicknames is another small feature that could just be a tweak. Never used it and not sure how many people even realize it is a feature.

And there are probably many other small features that nobody even realizes are there.
06/05/19, 12:09 PM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Automated channel switching, based on the chat tab selected and the last incoming chat message channel is a feature of FCOChatTabBrain e.g.
You press the return key and the chat tab will change the chat channel to the last incoming chat channel so that you are able to answer directly (based on threshold values you setup for inactivity. If you are writing or doing something in chat as the message comes in you won't be interrupted.).this puts you to see incoming messages fast and makes you more performant in the chat handling.
It also is able to inform upon incoming chat messages with sounds, based on keywords or friends/guilds.
It is able to redirect messages to other chat tabs if you want to whisper e.g. and start to, it will direct the chat tab you have setup for whispering automatically.

But the addon needs you to use several chat tabs to work properly! Like 1 for system, 1 for zone/say/yell, 1 for guilds, 1 for group and 1 for instant messages/whispers.

Last edited by Baertram : 06/05/19 at 12:12 PM.
06/05/19, 10:05 PM   #6
Anceane

So i went ahead and tried to replace Pchat by different addons to see what would be missing :

so i added those addons :
- https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...tTabBrain.html
- https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...ldReorder.html
- https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...bSelector.html
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2296-ChatBG.html

They almost replace Pchat functionalities, each doing differents things with options settings :
- time stamps
- minimized chat
- history - not always kept
- guild reorder
- chat tab memory --- not working as with Pchat, and the order of the chats are not kept - resets at each /rl or log in
- copy
- format naming
- sound alert whisper and more

and more settings that i dont use personally and/or did not understood well so i will pass on them.

What would be really missing from Pchat is :

- Windows resize
if i remove Pchat completly, the chat windows is smaller and can not be resized, i can only show 3 tabs, when i have 4 showned on the 6 i created with Pchat

- The possibility to choose the font for the chat.
I did not understood why removing Pchat, was removing also the font, as i use also Pawksickles. But the font Ubuntu was reverted to default.
The addon LUIe also reverted all of the chats annoucements to default

The possibility to use differents colors from ESO

So i ended up with Pchat set up basically with all options OFF, but on for the size, and the other addons.

UPDATE :
After playing a little with those new addons, some things are not functionning perfectly.
- The history do not work at all. Once i reloadui or relog, no history is availabe
- The background is either black or transparent, i can not get a soft settings
- FCOchatbrain : The tab name are kept, but the settings by tab chats are not saved (For example i have a npc tab and loot tab and they are each time reseted to any other of my tab)
example more clear

Tab 1 : zone
Tab 2 : Guilds
Tab 3 : group
Tab 4 : emotes /tells

become after a rl or log in

Tab 1 : zone = guilds
Tab 2 : Guilds = loot
Tab 3 : group = emotes
Tab 4 : emotes /tells = tells

I even discovered in the ChatTabSelector addon savedvariables that my names guilds are not even the right ones :

["Tamriel Traders Guild"] = "TTG",
["TimeStamp"] = false,
["Bandits Black Market"] = "BBM",
["Level"] = true,
["Daggerfall Bandits"] = "Bandits",
["Daggerfall Traders Guild"] = "DTG",
["Advanced"] = true,
["TabToChannel"] =

I have absolutely no characters into those guilds

Last edited by Anceane : 06/06/19 at 05:48 AM.
06/06/19, 10:55 AM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
FCOChatTabBrain is not about remembering chat settings of each tab!
As explained in my last post it is about changing the chat channel automatically in each chat tab to the incoming chat channel, and assist you with notifications and automatic chat tab switches (e.g. If you were not using the chat for 3 minutes and the guild chat is writing something: FCOCTB changes the active chat tab so it sjows your chosen guild chat tab and if you press the return key you can answer directly in the same chat channel the last incoming message was (as you were inactive).

Every chat tab setting is just changed and stored manually and not by FCOCTB! so if you got problems with this settings of each chat tabs channels it should be another addon's reason.
The only thing FCOCTB does with the chat tab settings (right click a chat tab and choose preferences/properties/settings) is adding new checkboxes to it so you can easily enable/disable the channels).

Btw: Chattabselector looks like another collection of this and that feature, inspired by other addons,pressed into one addon. Same author like MapPins so a nogo for me!

Last edited by Baertram : 06/06/19 at 11:07 AM.
06/06/19, 11:48 AM   #8
Anceane

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
FCOChatTabBrain is not about remembering chat settings of each tab!
As explained in my last post it is about changing the chat channel automatically in each chat tab to the incoming chat channel, and assist you with notifications and automatic chat tab switches (e.g. If you were not using the chat for 3 minutes and the guild chat is writing something: FCOCTB changes the active chat tab so it sjows your chosen guild chat tab and if you press the return key you can answer directly in the same chat channel the last incoming message was (as you were inactive).

Every chat tab setting is just changed and stored manually and not by FCOCTB! so if you got problems with this settings of each chat tabs channels it should be another addon's reason.
The only thing FCOCTB does with the chat tab settings (right click a chat tab and choose preferences/properties/settings) is adding new checkboxes to it so you can easily enable/disable the channels).

Btw: Chattabselector looks like another collection of this and that feature, inspired by other addons,pressed into one addon. Same author like MapPins so a nogo for me!

Yup, in fact this morning i removed this addon (chattabselector)

I tried to understand well the functionality of FCOCTB, but it seems its not what i need for. Old me prefer to select my tabs myself, a way to fight against my miss of concentration :P

Now, to be back at Pchat, i looked at the libs, and those are outdated. And if i try to update those, then the errors pops at logging.

LibMediaProvider is version 1.0
Libchat is version 2.0

BUT, i rather have a version outdated of Pchat that none :P So i am back to Pchat. Using only part of the addon and for what i need its good

I was just trying to help but not sur i did haha

Last edited by Anceane : 06/06/19 at 11:58 AM.
06/20/19, 10:36 AM   #9
ovinnik
Is there another addon that controls the format of player names (character names/user IDs)? Preferably for all relevant UI elements?

Anceane, you mentioned something like this in an earlier post; I'm not sure which of your listed addons has this functionality. (Honestly, this should really be baked into the base game option that controls the target frame in this manner...)
06/20/19, 10:56 AM   #10
Anceane

Originally Posted by ovinnik View Post
Is there another addon that controls the format of player names (character names/user IDs)? Preferably for all relevant UI elements?

Anceane, you mentioned something like this in an earlier post; I'm not sure which of your listed addons has this functionality. (Honestly, this should really be baked into the base game option that controls the target frame in this manner...)

After testing different addons i went back to Pchat, and i use the naming from it both for any players and group.

So actually my chat windows shows both player and id player names for guild, whisper, and when i enter a group i can also see those.

For the Pchat libraries, what i did is i updated each lib with the latest version. I did not change anything in the manifest as i am not sure enough of what i have to do. Since i did that the only thing no working and thus i disabled, was the history of chat.

Last edited by Anceane : 06/20/19 at 10:59 AM.
06/20/19, 11:16 AM   #11
ovinnik
Originally Posted by Anceane View Post
After testing different addons i went back to Pchat, and i use the naming from it both for any players and group.

So actually my chat windows shows both player and id player names for guild, whisper, and when i enter a group i can also see those.

For the Pchat libraries, what i did is i updated each lib with the latest version. I did not change anything in the manifest as i am not sure enough of what i have to do. Since i did that the only thing no working and thus i disabled, was the history of chat.
At this point, I was hoping for an alternative to pChat, but I suppose there isn't one. At least not for this particular functionality. There's pNames, but I have no idea whether it still works as a standalone. Or maybe there's a group-related addon that can display User IDs in the group chat? Hmm.

The rest of pChat's functionality isn't quite as important to me, personally, though time stamps and some styling options are certainly nice to have.

Thanks for your insights, in any case!
06/20/19, 03:16 PM   #12
Anceane

Originally Posted by ovinnik View Post
At this point, I was hoping for an alternative to pChat, but I suppose there isn't one. At least not for this particular functionality. There's pNames, but I have no idea whether it still works as a standalone. Or maybe there's a group-related addon that can display User IDs in the group chat? Hmm.

The rest of pChat's functionality isn't quite as important to me, personally, though time stamps and some styling options are certainly nice to have.

Thanks for your insights, in any case!
Sorry may be i explained myself badly but Pchat works well for group naming aka having if you want :
- simple character name
- character name + id player

as i am not in game now, i dont remember if there is a third choice but at least i am sur of those two

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » pChat - needs help.