09/29/14, 01:51 PM   #1
dominoid
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Help Reviving Add-on Auto Emote

With chat bubbles coming in 1.5 it is the belief that role-playing will get a boost in ESO. I'm looking to revive Auto Emote and make the algorithm to play emotes more robust; however, this add-on malfunctions and stops the ESC key from functioning properly - won't bring up the menus. I have checked all the usual known causes and cannot find the culprit. Would someone more in the know kindly take a look at the code and see if something jumps out at you. The code seems straight forward so I'm thinking someone can easily pinpoint it.

TIA
09/29/14, 02:08 PM   #2
RibbedStoic

Originally Posted by dominoid View Post
With chat bubbles coming in 1.5 it is the belief that role-playing will get a boost in ESO. I'm looking to revive Auto Emote and make the algorithm to play emotes more robust; however, this add-on malfunctions and stops the ESC key from functioning properly - won't bring up the menus. I have checked all the usual known causes and cannot find the culprit. Would someone more in the know kindly take a look at the code and see if something jumps out at you. The code seems straight forward so I'm thinking someone can easily pinpoint it.

TIA
Since the addon I'm currently maintaining is about to be obsoleted by chat bubbles I think I'll take this on. RPing is important to the community, I love supporting it.
09/29/14, 02:47 PM   #3
dominoid
Originally Posted by RibbedStoic View Post
Since the addon I'm currently maintaining is about to be obsoleted by chat bubbles I think I'll take this on. RPing is important to the community, I love supporting it.
Do you mean take-on the project of reviving it or figuring out the ESC key problem?

Either way, I'm happy. ;-)
09/29/14, 02:59 PM   #4
RibbedStoic

Originally Posted by dominoid View Post
Do you mean take-on the project of reviving it or figuring out the ESC key problem?

Either way, I'm happy. ;-)
Fully Revive, but looking at the code it'll most likely be a quick rewrite this evening. I'm not a fan of the style and I'd like to give the user the ability to easily add their own emotes without having to modify a lua file.
09/29/14, 04:00 PM   #5
dominoid
Fully Revive, but looking at the code it'll most likely be a quick rewrite this evening. I'm not a fan of the style and I'd like to give the user the ability to easily add their own emotes without having to modify a lua file.
Great. It's all yours. ;-)
10/09/14, 12:47 PM   #6
RibbedStoic

Just wanted to stop by and say I haven't forgotten about this Addon. Work has been picking up lately but this is still in my crosshairs
10/12/14, 08:17 PM   #7
dominoid
Just wanted to stop by and say I haven't forgotten about this Addon. Work has been picking up lately but this is still in my crosshairs
Nice. I was curious.
04/01/15, 05:18 PM   #8
dzee349
Hi, was there any progress yet for the AutoEmote addon revival? I was managing for a bit even with the Esc error but now in update 1.6, the addon doesn't work at all anymore. It was a great one, if there's any chance it can be revived I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by dzee349 : 04/01/15 at 05:21 PM.
04/01/15, 06:22 PM   #9
circonian
What exactly is it supposed to do?
If you can give me an explanation & a few examples I'll fix it for you guys.
I looked at the code and there is some extra stuff in there that I'm not quite sure what its purpose is supposed to be for.

My guess is...is it supposed to scan your emote text & then plays an emote if you use the emote keyword in your emote text?
Like if you did: "/emote began to whistle happily"
It would play the emote "/whistle"

Is that it?
04/01/15, 07:26 PM   #10
dzee349
Hi Circonian,

Thanks so much for the reply! That is the basic idea of AutoEmote, it triggers an emote based on the keywords you type. So for example, when the addon used to work I had this setup for the emote /torch:

{"torch","lit a fire","lights a fire","light a fire","lighting a fire","started a fire","start a fire","starts a fire","starting a fire","started a small fire","starts a small fire","starting a small fire","lit a small fire","lights a small fire","light a small fire","lighting a small fire"},
{"/torch"}
So that if I typed any of those words or string of words, my toon would perform the /torch emote. And you could customize the trigger words for /say, /party, /yell, and /emote. Here is the original addon page here

But yeah that's the basic gist of what the AutoEmote meant to do, I've been searching for similar addons that might have carried on through the game's updates but there hasn't been anything like it. There is Syncmote which is neat, but unfortunately it cannot pick up keywords in a sentence to trigger an emote; so if you chose the word "torch" as the keyword for the emote /torch, you couldn't type "He held up a torch" to trigger the emote. You would have to literally type "torch" which would restrict its use, so that wasn't a viable option.

Thanks again!

Last edited by dzee349 : 04/02/15 at 12:18 PM.
04/01/15, 09:40 PM   #11
circonian
You can find a working copy on my here: EmoteIt

It works in a very similar fashion (or I think given what I was told). You add text to the EmoteIt_EmoteList.lua file that will trigger emotes whenever you say it in the given chat channel.

You can open the: EmoteIt_EmoteList.lua file
and add keytext to trigger emotes, although It is not laid out exactly the same. One "TriggerText" per line. There are examples in the file.
P.S. There are only like 3 examples of triggerText for emotes...its not "pre-loaded" with triggerText, you have to add your own.

DISCLAIMER:

The functions that were being used in the addon for getting emote information & playing emotes do not even exist anymore. The addon is so small & so many things needed rewritten that it was easier to just write my own from scratch.
Since there is no licensing information in the addon or on the addon page, I was hesitant about updating someone elses work. That being said: Since the addon is so small, since I rewrote the entire thing from scratch...and again because of the licensing or lack of, I changed the name.

I would have gladly left it as AutoEmote & left my name off of it and just posted it as an update for Taijin...but the AutoEmote name is not mine to use. If Taijin comes back he can gladly have all of the code I wrote & use it to update his addon.

Last edited by circonian : 04/01/15 at 10:44 PM.
04/01/15, 09:59 PM   #12
DeanGrey

Originally Posted by circonian View Post
You can find a working copy on my dropbox here: EmoteIt

It works in a very similar fashion (or I think given what I was told). You add text to the EmoteIt_EmoteList.lua file that will trigger emotes whenever you say it in the given chat channel.

You can open the: EmoteIt_EmoteList.lua file
and add keytext to trigger emotes, although It is not laid out exactly the same. One "TriggerText" per line. There are examples in the file.
P.S. There are only like 3 examples of triggerText for emotes...its not "pre-loaded" with triggerText, you have to add your own.

DISCLAIMER:

The functions that were being used in the addon for getting emote information & playing emotes do not even exist anymore. The addon is so small & so many things needed rewritten that it was easier to just write my own from scratch.
Since there is no licensing information in the addon or on the addon page, I was hesitant about updating someone elses work. That being said: Since the addon is so small, since I rewrote the entire thing from scratch...and again because of the licensing or lack of, I changed the name.

I would have gladly left it as AutoEmote & left my name off of it and just posted it as an update for Taijin...but the AutoEmote name is not mine to use. If Taijin comes back he can gladly have all of the code I wrote & use it to update his addon.
Owning an idea for an addon doesn't sit right with me. Doubly so for an abandoned one. Anyone can have an idea, the trick is executing it and maintaining it. Thanks for sharing this.
04/02/15, 07:27 AM   #13
dzee349
Thank you so, so much for this! Can't wait to test it out! This feature was literally one of the things I loved most about RPing in ESO, it just brought so much life to the toon, thank you for making it available again!

Oh! Sorry one quick question, for emotes that have multiple versions (for example: /eat, /eat2, /eat3, /eat4) is there a way to set up the trigger keywords so that they play a random emote from the list? So for example at first I could say 'Suzy started eating' and trigger the /eat2 emote, then when I post next I could say "She continued eating" and trigger the /eat4 emote?

Thanks!!
04/02/15, 02:35 PM   #14
circonian
Originally Posted by dzee349 View Post
Thank you so, so much for this! Can't wait to test it out! This feature was literally one of the things I loved most about RPing in ESO, it just brought so much life to the toon, thank you for making it available again!

Oh! Sorry one quick question, for emotes that have multiple versions (for example: /eat, /eat2, /eat3, /eat4) is there a way to set up the trigger keywords so that they play a random emote from the list? So for example at first I could say 'Suzy started eating' and trigger the /eat2 emote, then when I post next I could say "She continued eating" and trigger the /eat4 emote?

Thanks!!
No, but I'll add it when I get home tonight.
04/02/15, 04:09 PM   #15
dzee349
Thanks so much I really appreciate it!
04/03/15, 11:12 PM   #16
awesomebilly
damn

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=1013
I fixed the addon, I wish I would have read more comments before updating it.

I recently fixed an escape bug.. and thought.. hell yeah I can fix that.

Anyways, I kept it up.. I want to see if I at least fixed the escape bug.. but please download EmoteIt

Last edited by awesomebilly : 04/03/15 at 11:27 PM.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Help Reviving Add-on Auto Emote