03/03/14, 01:38 PM   #1
ronsavage
Addon development after weekend beta is over

Heya - just getting started with addon development, reading up on LUA syntax, the wiki, examples etc.

I got started with the MyFirstAddon example and snooping around with zgoo during the weekend beta period but would like to continue after the beta weekend is done.

Is there a way to fire up the game in a "sandbox" mode for addon development without being logged into the server?

Thanks,

Ron
03/03/14, 01:39 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
No, there is not.
03/03/14, 01:59 PM   #3
Errc
If you want to just get familiar writing addons you could boot up WoW and write addons there. Would require looking at a different API, but everything is very similar (and their API has much better documentation. http://wowprogramming.com/).

Porting over code is really quick and usually just requires changing some function names.
03/03/14, 02:03 PM   #4
ronsavage
Thanks for the quick response Seerah, albeit with the sad, yet not unexpected news. :-)

Are there any official API docs that you know of to read? I've read the wiki but it is lacking quite a bit of information used in several of the more complex addons available on this site, so that information must exist somewhere - I just can't find it. :-)

Thanks again,

Ron
03/03/14, 02:04 PM   #5
ronsavage
Thanks Errc, I might give that a shot - it will probably take all night to update my WoW install to the latest patch. :-)
03/04/14, 10:44 AM   #6
Wykkyd
Are you Wykkyd Gaming?

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by ronsavage View Post
Are there any official API docs that you know of to read? I've read the wiki but it is lacking quite a bit of information used in several of the more complex addons available on this site, so that information must exist somewhere - I just can't find it. :-)
That doesn't mean it was well documented. There are 2 word docs that they released on a private section of the forum. They are both about 60% to 70% accurate, at best, and neither is more than 50% inclusive of the game's actual API. When you dig through both docs you get a combined 75% to 80% of the picture.

Most of us use ZGOO addon, or our own parsing commands, plus a lot of trial and error to find commands, global variables and UI objects and how we can interact with them.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Addon development after weekend beta is over