06/11/14, 06:24 AM   #1
Froali
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[Thurisaz Guild Info] French translation needed

Hi.

Since my AddOn is growing and now utilizes a lot of settings it's time to support a french translation. Any french speaking people out there, that would help me with this? English and German files are attached. (I'm native german speaker, if you see some awkward english strings, you can let me know, too )

Thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: lua EN.lua (6.5 KB, 553 views)
File Type: lua DE.lua (6.8 KB, 585 views)
06/11/14, 09:03 PM   #2
katkat42
Originally Posted by Froali View Post
Hi.

Since my AddOn is growing and now utilizes a lot of settings it's time to support a french translation. Any french speaking people out there, that would help me with this? English and German files are attached. (I'm native german speaker, if you see some awkward english strings, you can let me know, too )

Thanks in advance!
Leider kann ich gar kein Französisch sprechen, aber ich habe ein paar Vorschläge für die Englische Übersetzungen. (Wow, my German is out of practice! )

"Colored Displaymessages" should be "Colored Display Messages". [insert joke about compound words in German here ]

"Define a abbreviation for this guild name." -> "abbreviation" starts with a vowel sound, so it takes the indefinite article "an" => "Define an abbreviation"

Other than that, your translations look good. I have a few suggestions for clarity, but they're minor quibbles, because I'm a bit of a grammar nerd.

"Show system messages about member changes (join/leave) of guild" => perhaps "Show system messages about guild roster changes" might be terser?

When you have a string of the form "X of Y" or "X of Ys" (plural Y), it can usually be re-stated "Y X". Thus:
"Format of names" => "Name Format"
"Font of Announcements" => "Announcement Font"
"Color of Player Names" => "Player Name Color"
"Width of Announcements" => "Announcement Width"
"Color of Guild Name" => "Guild Name Color"
I think this is because the preposition "of" is incredibly vague, even more so than using the singular when using a noun as an adjective.

Anyway, that's my two cents
06/12/14, 05:37 AM   #3
Froali
Thanks for your input! This is are exactly the english strings i wasn't sure about the correct grammar
06/12/14, 11:23 AM   #4
katkat42
You're welcome! I'm glad I could help!
08/08/14, 03:09 AM   #5
Ayantir

French translation incoming, I will update this post as soon i've finished

(if any addon author need french translation, i can also get a look)

few remarks :
- If guild message of the day is blnk, it should not be displayed
- I truncated some strings to fit in options panels (in french we love long phrases)
- Maybe you can show the font in the dropdown with font list ?
- I changed a whole bunch of Announcements by notification, in french, "Notification" is a bit better to describe the string you pop in chat / hud
- Same with acronym / abbreviation, acronym is better for us.
- You should move your credits in the panel option from the top of the panel to the bottom with LAM2 settings.
- Maybe set lang string for the "last seen" option, in french, d = j (days = journées), so a last seen 12d18h should be 12j18h

Here is your file :
Attached Files
File Type: lua FR.lua (6.7 KB, 558 views)

Last edited by Ayantir : 08/08/14 at 03:47 AM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Translation Help » [Thurisaz Guild Info] French translation needed