04/23/19, 04:58 AM   #1
Atharaon
[Request] An addon to replace home localization

So I figured I'd try my hand at writing an addon and I'm saddened to say I cannot understand it at all. So, I'm hoping there's someone here who can tell me whether this is possible, or better yet, write it up!

I'm looking for an addon that allows the player to change the name of their houses on the load screens and in the UI by amending the strings in the en.lang file. For example, rather than a load screen saying "Exorcised Coven Cottage" it might say something like "Adamantine View" or whatever. Even better if we can override the description with a custom one too.

It wouldn't even matter if we could override the text through an in-game menu or by manually amending certain replacer text in the lua or other addon file, just as long as it changed the names/descriptions.

I believe there's a good chance this is possible because I've noticed a number of addons that alter the language files, e.g. to make the character sound Khajiiti, to rename the keeps in English if using another language, for Spanish translations and so on.

Now, before anyone says "but you CAN rename a house in game through the Collections menu", we all know that's crap because it doesn't even amend the title anywhere that matters, like every time you load your house and sit through an awful load screen, or on the map. Obviously this addon would aim to rectify this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
04/23/19, 07:21 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If the string for the houses is known as e.g. SI_HOUSE_NAME1 you could add a new version of this string in your language using SafeAddString(SI_HOUSE_NAME1, "New String to use", versionNumber) function (where
versionNumber is an integer like 1 or 2 or 3).
If not, I'm not sure if this wold be possible. You might ask the creators of ESO RU or other custom laguages how they changed the strings then.

But I'm not sure if these texts will be used on the loading screens at all! I'm pretty sure you cannot alter the loading screen contents in any way! And here you are at the ingame functionality to rename the stuff in the colletions again.
04/23/19, 10:12 AM   #3
Atharaon
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
If the string for the houses is known as e.g. SI_HOUSE_NAME1 you could add a new version of this string in your language using SafeAddString(SI_HOUSE_NAME1, "New String to use", versionNumber) function (where
versionNumber is an integer like 1 or 2 or 3).
If not, I'm not sure if this wold be possible. You might ask the creators of ESO RU or other custom laguages how they changed the strings then.

But I'm not sure if these texts will be used on the loading screens at all! I'm pretty sure you cannot alter the loading screen contents in any way! And here you are at the ingame functionality to rename the stuff in the colletions again.
Thanks for the response!
If it's not clear already, I am a total novice at this stuff, one who failed to even understand the guide to LUA on the wiki. But I'll try to figure out what you're suggesting and see if it can be implemented.

I don't know for sure, but it looks like the loading screen literally just copies the lang file since I've seen the load screens translated into other languages, like Japanese. It makes me think they're not all flat images but rather background images with dynamic text in front.

So far I've downloaded the Spanish translation and it looks like it redirects the game to their own version of a lang file. I don't think this would work for me since I only want to amend certain words and wouldn't want to keep updating the entire file.

Another possibility is the English POI and Keep Names addon, which selectively changes the names of the POIs and Keeps to English when using another language. It looks like the author lists the names in English within the addon, but being the complete novice I am, I can't follow the coding.

I can only hope enough people want this kind of addon that someone eventually makes it haha!

Cheers
04/23/19, 11:09 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You can find ingame string constants and their values in the ingamelocalization.lua file in the esoui source codes:
https://github.com/esoui/esoui/blob/...tedstrings.lua

If not in there it could be in inetrnalingamelocalization folder but as the name says: INTERNAL
You won't change this.

Check the SI_ constants. The stuff after the = in "" is the text used.
If you find any house info there you could try to use this and alter it by using the function I've specified in my first thread. But as said before I'm pretty sure there is no way to alter the login or loading screen by addons! They are protected as there is info shown like "The ZOs employees got a (Z) in front of their name" which could be chanegd by addons and thus wouldn't be safe at all.

To use a function ingame you can use the chat and try /script functionName(param1, param2) and press the retrun key, where function name is an API function or addon function to use and param1 and param2 are the parameters of this function.

If you do not understand this at all you'd better leave anything as it is and NOT use this as it could break the game for you!

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » [Request] An addon to replace home localization