08/11/20, 12:32 PM   #1
Skweetis
Settings -> Add-ons: UI element not updating with toggle change

I have just recently started using add-ons and have been on a bit of a journey trying to get everything to work together. With a few exceptions, I have been pretty successful, but I am running into a bug that occurs across add-ons and I am trying to figure out if maybe it is a common library causing the issue.

First, I have a ton of add-ons, but most notably: BanditsUI, MiniMap by Fyrakin, several of the map add-ons (e.g. LoreBooks), Advanced Filters, etc.

When I added Research Assistant, I noticed this happening: If you go to Settings -> Addons, and then try and toggle something on and off, the behavior will toggle, but the UI will not update to show that you have toggled it. For example, if I toggle MiniMap from OFF to ON, the behavior will turn ON, but the text will still show "OFF".

I tried removing Research Assistant and its libraries, but this didn't seem to fix the issue, and since I have been adding so many Add-Ons, I am not even 100% sure that the problem started with it.

Has anyone else seen this?
08/11/20, 04:48 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Nope.

Important:
Please disable ALL addons or functions of addons that suppress error messages so you see if any error message happens (e.g. Bug Eater, NoThankYou or any addons like this)
I guess you got any UI error message in the settings menu but it was suppressed. The behaviour would be something like this then until you do a /reloadui!
Maybe also download and activate LibDebugLogger and DebugLogViewer to see the error messages even after a reloadui in the DebugLogViewer ui! It can help to track such error messages if any addon supresses them.

Try the same then again as you got this problem and see if you are able to rebuild it.

If it started with Research Assistant check which libraries are in the dependency list.
Check your other addons then which might have been enabled as well as you have enabled THESE libraries (addons dependent on the same libraries).

And then test if it's about those addons somehow by disabling one after another, do a reloadui, until you notice the same problem/not anymore.
Maybe one of these addons is using any outdated/old version of LibAddonMenu-2.0 embedded into the folder/subfolder "libs" of the addon.
Strip it, change the txt file of this addon to ## DependsOn: LibAddonMenu-2.0>=31 and install LAM directly into your /live/addons folder.
This should make it load the newest LAM version and not any old embedded one.

There can be several old addons using these embedded libs So search your /live/addons/ folders and subfolders (most of the time the subfolder containing the libs is called libs) for any LibAddonMenu-2.0 or other library which can be also downloaded via Minion, check if a txt file is included in the downloaded zip file, and if so:
Strip this old libs from the addons subfolders and change these addons txt files like described above (use ## DependsOn: <DownloadedLibrarysTXTName e.g. LibResearch or LibAddonMenu-2.0>) + inform the author to not include old version of libraries anymore please.

Last edited by Baertram : 08/11/20 at 04:51 PM.
08/12/20, 10:01 AM   #3
Skweetis
Wow, this is amazing help. Thank you. I will setup those debugs and see what I see. Thanks!
08/12/20, 10:10 AM   #4
Skweetis
When I toggle something On / Off (as noted below), this error pops up:

user:/AddOns/wykkydsFullImmersion/e/LAM/LibAddonMenu-2.0.lua:147: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
user:/AddOns/wykkydsFullImmersion/e/LAM/LibAddonMenu-2.0.lua:147: in function 'RefreshReloadUIButton'
user:/AddOns/wykkydsFullImmersion/e/LAM/LibAddonMenu-2.0.lua:157: in function 'RequestRefreshIfNeeded'
|caaaaaa<Locals> control = ud, panel = ud, panelData = [table:1]{author = "Ayantir & Garkin", type = "panel", slashCommand = "/skyshards", name = "SkyShards", website = "http://www.esoui.com/downloads...", version = "10.23", registerForRefresh = T, registerForDefaults = T, displayName = "|cFFFFB0SkyShards|r"} </Locals>|r
user:/AddOns/wykkydsFullImmersion/e/LAM/controls/checkbox.lua:65: in function 'UpdateValue'
|caaaaaa<Locals> control = ud, forceDefault = F, value = F </Locals>|r
user:/AddOns/wykkydsFullImmersion/e/LAM/controls/checkbox.lua:111: in function '(anonymous)'
|caaaaaa<Locals> control = ud </Locals>|r

The fact that it references "RequestRefresh.." seems relevant.
08/12/20, 11:10 AM   #5
Skweetis
Thumbs up

This is now fixed. Long story short, I did a lot of work scrubbing LAM across addons. So far, so good. Again, thanks for your detailed help.
08/12/20, 03:02 PM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yw, glad it worked.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Settings -> Add-ons: UI element not updating with toggle change