02/02/22, 01:52 PM   #21
Octopuss

Jesus, this is ridiculous.
So there is functionality in the game since 2014 that's only accessible with addons? What the...

Last edited by Octopuss : 02/02/22 at 01:59 PM.
02/03/22, 04:41 AM   #22
Octopuss

And as a cake topping, there's some weird interconnect between the data on the server (or so it seems), because when I change some binds, others get bound again (previously successfully unbound).

Or just when I thought I at least managed to unbind all base binds I didn't need, I tried adding addon binds only to have all of them deleted upon reloadui.

That's all with resetting to defaults first (which seems to wipe all addon binds too with the exception of one for pChat that just cannot be removed for reasons beyond this dimension)

This crap is seriously bugged
It's stuff like this that makes one question whether he should have bought ESO+ again)
02/03/22, 06:48 AM   #23
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Try to logout, close the game, remove the total folder
live/AddOns (move somewhere else)
live/SavedVariables (move somewhere else, and maybe rename the ZO_*.lua files to something different to let them rebuild)

Rename the file:
AddOnSettings.txt to soemthing else

Login, reset the controls to default, logout. Clsoe game, restart, login, configure the keys to your needs (without any addon enabled or even "installed" as the AddOns folder is empty.

After that it should hopefully update all default keybinds on the server properly.
And then just move the AddOns and SavedVariables folder back into the live/ folder, login and only enable a very few addons + dependencies where you want to change keybinds for at teh character selection screen (not ingame in the world!).
Login to the world and change the keybinds accordingly to your needs.
Logout and close client after doing that to force update all properly to the server.

Hopefully this will help to rebind all correctly. If not I guess you need to send in a ticket to ZOs.
02/03/22, 08:29 AM   #24
Octopuss

I'll try that when I don't feel like killing myself anymore.
Meanwhile I installed Votan's Keybinder (and hopefully he will eventually update the addon so it doesn't hard-require the included lib, which he apparently customized in some way) and it seems to work.

Too bad people have been using addons for this purpose for so long the bug (because bug it must be; I spent several hours on this since yesterday and I had flashbacks few years into the past when it went exactly like this and nothing I tried made any difference whatsoever) was left without enough bug reports - I guess.
I googled up several threads on the official forums dating way back to 2014 where people complained exactly about this.

But since you brough that up - what's the purpose of the ZO*.lua files? What do they do?

edit:
No way.
Deleted everything besides usersettings.txt.
Logged into each char, resetted binds to defaults, shut down game.
Logged in again, and some chars had for example gamepad binds set while some did not. It varied too.
It's just bugged.

Last edited by Octopuss : 02/03/22 at 09:17 AM.
02/03/22, 10:04 AM   #25
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
But since you brough that up - what's the purpose of the ZO*.lua files? What do they do?
Store ESO UI settings like "include banked items" at crafting table etc. in SavedVariables.
Everything that non-addons save in the UI for you is stored in there.
But no keybinds, it was just a general info about how reseting all.

Not sure why votan should have changed that lib? What do you refer to? Afaik he only includes it in his addon.
Votans keybinder just incldues the lib because it is no lib likes others are. It will just change the visual of the keybindings so that addon related ones are shown in another category of the controls menu, that's all. Nothing to blame here for server issues or wrong saved keybinds.
It's "just visual" as I have answered before. And you should refrain from spreading any wrong infos based on your ideas or understanding about it.
02/03/22, 11:12 AM   #26
Octopuss

I am not spreading anything. I only said (and only here) I thought it could have something to do with saving the keybinds due to the key combinations not being available in the base game, but you cleared that up.

Oh and the library included in the Keybinder is not the same as https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info...nKeybinds.html this standalone one. The code is different, which is why it doesn't work with the updated one someone has recently posted I assume.

edit:
I am referring to https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info....html#comments
And the fact that the community has mostly moved away from including libs in addons, especially when a standalone version is already out there.

Last edited by Octopuss : 02/03/22 at 11:16 AM.
02/03/22, 11:26 AM   #27
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
The lib included contains it's own txt file and is not called hardcoded so all is fine here as the game will only use the newest version of that lib provided by all addons, or manually installed.
Only including libs with hardcoded lines, without own librarie's txt file is somehting one should not do anymore.
So no issue with that.

The version in Votans addon is 4.
The last released version at esoui is: 3
It was not updated there as Votan is no member of that library and merlight is gone since years.
So everyhting is fine as votan fixed the lib and updated it and includes it to his addon so it will be used prior to the older version 3.
In short words: His version is the best, all others are outdated and should not be used anymore.
And his verison also could need an update to remove LibStub, correct.

That's what I meant with "you should refrain from spreading any wrong infos based on your ideas or understanding about it"
I know you did only asume things and did not want to blame someone.
Often posts in forums are just wrong or false understanding. If votan does something it is correct and makes sense, and I doubt it got anyhting to do with any keybind related problems as users already reported those before that lib even was created

Last edited by Baertram : 02/03/22 at 11:48 AM.
02/03/22, 12:22 PM   #28
Octopuss

Ah, ok, I get it
03/27/22, 02:43 AM   #29
Octopuss

In case anyone ever runs into the same hell I did, here's a tip:
Do not EVER try to unbind gamepad keybinds. It will mess everything up, and I mean in a FUBAR way.

This must be one of the perfect examples of ZOS Jester's festival stoned coding or something.
The moment you unbind a gamepad keybind (or more of them, no idea and no interest in testing it) and it sticks, all hell breaks loose.
04/23/22, 05:49 PM   #30
Malzen333
Hold up was the solution to just not touch Gamepad binds after resetting to defaults?! Or are you only hypothesizing that the issue is caused by Unbinding a default Gamepad key and cannot be fixed on our end?! Cause I have been messing with this same issue for months and was about to walk away from this game after 7 years, and Im a pvper. Controls that wont save after trying everything every night for months instead of playing.. I would take Cyro at its very worst over one more day of logging in to default Keybinds. Here is the Support Ticket back and forth from my end.

Ive done enough to be done doing more. This was my game, my nightly leisure activity, my nightly social outlet, my night almost every night for almost seven freakin years. Im going to try resetting and propagating live folder contents, again.. resetting all menus to defaults on all characters… again… and resetting all character keybinds to default for both Keyboard and Gamepad.. again… and without addons or even Emacs for chording Im going to change every key to my layout that I used for six in a half years (omitting modifiers, which I refuse to live without, for this first pass of the uncountable 133 Controls rows passes Ive done night after night for tonights).. afckngain… ONLY without touching a single Gamepad default.. If this doesnt do it. Im done. And before this reverting bind nightmare I still was far from done despite how long done all my PvP friends already have been. Im never doing this again. Ill report back when it is done… or I am.

Edit: All characters reset without Addons, most immediately logged out, a few immediately changing a single different keybind some unbound slots others from default but no Gamepad changes, and one I changed the entire layout before exiting. Variations to note any anomalies.
Edit: Second character full controls layout changed. So far so good. Introduced chording on the third character, so far so good. Keys are sticking between ui reloads. Have not began introducing other addons yet. Have not touched gamepad keys yet.
Edit: Disabled Emacs on the second character and Introduced FCO Item Saver into the equation, which has a setting in the addon menu to also enable chording. Then I changed the FCOIS Not Bound Addon Keybindings for ‘Mark for improvement, Standard icon, Next icon, Previous icon, and lock icon’ Controls using only one Bind slot in the first of four columns. So 5 new keybinds set. Only the ‘Mark for improvement’ key saved.. I went all out before reloading with FCOIS on the second character’s layout during the first pass, using multiple Not Bound slots in the last two columns. So perhaps Ive already hit the bind limit after my very first addon key, or maybe I changed one of the keys I shouldnt have, or I did the reset order of operations differently for this second character. Duno. Same happened when I got back on first character with full layout.. only my main hadnt activated FCOIS yet and I noticed the most recent changes in housing editor, with only standard keys, hadnt saved since logging out. Again, I may have done something different to cause it, hell maybe even misclicking and opening a bind slot with a gamepad button default and canceling without rebinding is enough to break it. I duno, got standard keys setup rn and the last 6 characters seem to be doing alright. Albeit using less not bound slots for alternative keys for my mouse. But we’ll see. Only halfway thru my characters and the nights almost over. What a bs pain in my ass.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ESOSupportTicket_U33-Keybinds.txt (18.5 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by Malzen333 : 04/24/22 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Updates
04/29/22, 09:27 AM   #31
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Please read:
https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8858
-> Below headline: "Why don't my keybinds (at the controller settings ingame) save properly?"

I hope this clears things up.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Tech Chat » ESO keybinds limit