03/13/22, 11:14 AM   #1
Maelynn
request to update/adopt Lorebooks

the Lorebooks addon hasn't been updated in a long time and is lacking the newer areas (Blackwood, Deadlands). The last message from the author was around the time of the last update, mentioning an overhaul, but that was last June - and no word regarding the addon since then. The author hasn't been active on here since December, and there's more and more people asking for an update without any response.

Is there anyone who could help out here? I and many other completionists would be very, very grateful.
03/13/22, 02:26 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Read my comment at the addon please and try to understand why there has not been any update since a few patches. It's about missing data and especially time needed to manually collect and update the data.

Prepare 1 single ressource with all the missing books, like an online google spreadsheet and maybe some dev with time and capacity left will be able to incorporate this into the addon then. But searching 100 comments about new books and checking the positions ingame for validity by the dev taking over the addon: I doubt this will happen and you should be able understand why

This is my answer without having checked if and what you have contributed so please do not think it was about you, it's a generic answer to all asking to update addons where there is a high manual effort to do for the authors and where the legwork should be done by the helping, and asking users, to make it smooth and easy to update the addons.
03/13/22, 02:37 PM   #3
Sharlikran

Yeah if you want the Lorebooks in the addon it would mean finding them and then contributing the locations to the author. I do understand you want someone to update the addon so you do not have to find the locations. However, if nobody contributes the information then there can not be an update. It is not something that one person can do it is usually a community effort.
03/14/22, 07:14 AM   #4
Keldor

I had planned to include the collection of Lore Book Locations in the ESO-Database Data Mining AddOn to provide the data for the author of LoreBooks. Unfortunately, it was not possible to integrate this function into the AddOn due to time constraints.
03/17/22, 10:03 AM   #5
Maelynn
There was a comment on the addon page back in early July with all locations of the Blackwood books; it wasn't a spreadsheet file, but a list with all coordinates. I haven't checked if a similar list has been provided for the Deadlands, but it should be possible for the Blackwood part to update, no?

Okay I checked comments and this LordKruxis has posted a lot of comments over the course of a few months (starting July, 02-07-2021) with locations of Blackwood, Reach, and Deadlands. I don't know enough about addons to know if the location formats are correct, or how to add text to a spreadsheet thing, but surely someone should be able to implement that given data?

Last edited by Maelynn : 03/17/22 at 10:13 AM.
03/17/22, 10:45 AM   #6
Sharlikran

It is one of those situations where nobody needs to take over the project. The author is still active. If he doesn't have time then everyone's patience is appreciated. Regardless of how long ago the information was provided and regardless of what the current update is.

Last edited by Sharlikran : 03/17/22 at 10:54 AM.
03/17/22, 11:22 AM   #7
Maelynn
Oh I see, I had considered the author inactive because they haven't logged in for 3 months and the addon hasn't had an update in 9 months. Mea culpa.

I also thought that it was a simple matter of adding another name to the little list (not bolded as main author, just one of the other names) and that they could also update addons - that would've been an easy solution, but apparently it just shows how little I know of (maintaining) addons, hehe.
03/24/22, 08:48 PM   #8
tim99

Originally Posted by Maelynn View Post
Oh I see, I had considered the author inactive because they haven't logged in for 3 months and the addon hasn't had an update in 9 months. Mea culpa.

I also thought that it was a simple matter of adding another name to the little list (not bolded as main author, just one of the other names) and that they could also update addons - that would've been an easy solution, but apparently it just shows how little I know of (maintaining) addons, hehe.

made my day
03/25/22, 03:13 AM   #9
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Not sure if this post was meant to be sarcastic or not. Well either way: Yes, it's not that simple. If it would be the addon would receive updates easily, even by other non-dev users who would like to do it, right?
As I described in the addon comments too: Even if someone posts the data to the comments so it could be added to the addon, one would need to understand the addon, how it needs to be added there, and collect all the info from comments each time + check if they are correct ingame = overall needed: technical knowhow, addon knowhow, much time

If Kyoma said he might find a better way we should wait for that, or someone can create a patched addon version named "Updated" and incorporate the chat comments of the past months + new books in there e.g., as far as this is allowed by the addon's license (if used) and by the author (the author portal is enabled and the addon's additional files are enabled too so I'd say: Yes it should be fine).

Last edited by Baertram : 03/25/22 at 03:18 AM.
03/26/22, 12:56 AM   #10
Maelynn
Ah, I didn't mean to sound sarcastic - mainly wanted to explain my simplistic way of thinking that brought about my request.

Thanks for explaining the way it works. So if someone were to take the time to assemble the info from the comments and create an 'addonx X - updated' addon, then it could work? I suppose that would fit my request very well. Had I known this, I could've worded my original post better.

So, is there anyone with time/energy/knowledge who'd be willing to help out the Lorebooks users by creating a patch?
03/26/22, 05:22 AM   #11
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I also understood it to not be sarcastic, only tim99's answer made me think it could have been Thanks for your answer
04/14/22, 02:38 AM   #12
tim99

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
I also understood it to not be sarcastic, only tim99's answer made me think it could have been

but it's a lot funnier to think that it's sarcastic

ok ok i have another one:

Sharlikran:
Originally Posted by Sharlikran View Post
It is one of those situations where nobody needs to take over the project.

also Sharlikran:
*takes over*

04/14/22, 08:00 AM   #13
Sharlikran

Originally Posted by tim99 View Post
also Sharlikran:
*takes over*
I got ahold of him and he just hasn't been playing. I'm helping get caught up so once he has more time he doesn't have so much to do.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » request to update/adopt Lorebooks