08/07/19, 03:44 PM   #1
Sp00sty
Are patches normally cumulative and latest complete version?

I do all my updates manually because there are several that I make my own personal tweaks to for display/text size etc.

When I get lazy I don't always use an update the same day it gets uploaded and then there might be another or more updates by the time i get around to it.

Is the most current addon upload normally cumulative meaning it is the most current full version of the addon?

Or to be safer do I need to apply all of the most recent updates I have including the latest?

Thanks
08/07/19, 04:24 PM   #2
Rhyono
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If it is a main addon, it is always the complete new version. If it is a patch, it is sometimes only a modification to the main addon.

You would never install multiple versions of the same addon/patch to attempt to get all of the changes.
08/07/19, 04:38 PM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Rhyono View Post
If it is a patch, it is sometimes only a modification to the main addon.
Just to clarify this:
A patch can be 1 line of source code change in any file of the addon it patches.
Or a lot of source code lines changes.
Even a whole file replaced.
Several files replaced.
Or even the whole directory with all files replaced.
Maybe it's also a totally new folder within the addon, like "new textures in the subfolder art".

As long as the folder name of the addon and patch are the same, exisitng files will be overwritten and new files added.

If you update a normal addon, no patch, it normally overwrites the whole addon folder replacing the existing files. If you do this manually old files which ar enot used anymore (beause they got renamed or moved to subfolders) will be kept! You alwys should delete the whole addon's foilder before updating it officially (if you do not want to keep old files and folders in there).

The addon manager Minion will do the same for you afaik: Downlaod the ZIP archive from www.esoui.com, delete the old folder of the addon you are updating, extract it to the live/AddOns folder which builds the whole folder new.
08/07/19, 05:26 PM   #4
orcashow
Yes, all patches are cumulative. If you miss an update, you just get it the next time you run the launcher.
08/07/19, 07:32 PM   #5
Sp00sty
@Baertram,

Thanks I hadn't thought of that.

Maybe I'll move to Minion and then have my personal changes saved in a file so i can apply them after, rather than making them before overwriting.
08/08/19, 06:46 AM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I'm using minion and whenever I want to keep the files of an addon cuz I changed them locally I right click the addon on the "Installed" tab of Minion and choose "Ignore updates". It will be on the ignore list then (the complete ignore list is located at the settings tab of that Minion game and you can remove it from there again) and not updated anymore via Minion until you unignore it.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Are patches normally cumulative and latest complete version?