Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
07/22/20, 12:04 AM   #1
TagCdog
Logging into a character crashes to the login screen

Hi All,

I know this is remarkably similar to my earlier post about logging out and crashing to the login screen, but I created a new post because it is technically a different issue.

At some point today the game started crashing to the login screen 100% of the time when I tried to load into any of my characters.

I manually update all my addons (with Minion) and this issue occurred mid-day (with previous successful logins) without any updates to my addons or game settings.

I wanted to post my solution here (I resolved the issue) because of how oddly extreme it was and to see if anyone has any guesses as to what happened and/or what precautions to take so that it doesn't happen again.

I will try to be concise, but I think it important to describe certain troubleshooting details so my apologies for the length of this post.

During this issue, the game would load fine without any addons but would crash to the login screen with my addons enabled. I tried all the generic troubleshooting steps including the game’s repair tool to no avail.
  • I tried disabling addons to discover which one was causing the issue. The problem was that this method was inconsistent. Sometimes I would eventually get to an addon that when disabled would allow my game to run, however when I re-enabled all the others (except the offending one) the game would still crash to the login screen. I kept narrowing down my list, but again the results were inconsistent. Sometimes previous offenders would allow me to login again and there was a “new offender”.
  • I then deleted everything related to addons and saved variables and re-downloaded fresh copies of some "core" addons and their respective prerequisites (Skyshards, Lorebooks, HarvestMap, Craftstore, Bandits UI, etc...). Again, I got crashes with the fresh addons and inconsistent results when disabling/re-enabling addons one-at-a-time.
  • Finally, I uninstalled the game, deleted the game's install directory (files were still left over), deleted any leftover ESO related registry entries, rebooted, re-downloaded the game from scratch, and did a fresh install.
  • I then restored a zipped copy of my Addons and SavedVariables (zipped/backed-up when things were still crashing). In other words, all my addons and their previous settings (when the game kept crashing) were restored.

The game works now with no issues.

This likely means the game and/or game settings were corrupt despite using the repair tool and attempting all the “generic” troubleshooting steps that ZOS had me do.

What are your thoughts? Re-installing this game cannot be the only solution.

Last edited by TagCdog : 07/22/20 at 12:07 AM.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Logging into a character crashes to the login screen