04/13/15, 02:17 PM   #1
blakbird

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[Request] Remove Action Button Borders

Garkin as been kind enough to help me out with a couple things I have been working on for my flat, minimalist UI. He gave me this snippet of code that removes the borders on the action buttons:

Code:
for slotNum = 3, 9 do
        local button = ZO_ActionBar_GetButton(slotNum).button
        button:SetNormalTexture("")
        button:SetPressedTexture("")
        button:SetDisabledTexture("")
        end
If I run it as a script in the game, it works. Unfortunately, I am unable to figure out how to turn that script into a addon. I was able to put that code into Luminary Action Bar at line 292 and it works. But, the problem I am having with both the script and the addon is that when I swap bars or get a loading screen, the buttons go back to having borders. I have to reload the UI or run the script every time to get those borders to disappear. I don't want to keep bugging Garkin with all my issues, so hopefully someone here is able to assist me with this.
04/13/15, 02:34 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I think you need to put it into the callback function of the event_player_activated so it gets called everytime a zonechage/reloadui takes place:
Lua Code:
  1. local function Callback_Player_Activated(...)
  2. --remove borders at action buttons
  3. for slotNum = 3, 9 do
  4.         local button = ZO_ActionBar_GetButton(slotNum).button
  5.         button:SetNormalTexture("")
  6.         button:SetPressedTexture("")
  7.         button:SetDisabledTexture("")
  8.         end
  9. end
  11. --Put this somewhere where your addon gets initialized, e.g. inside callback function of EVENT_ADDON_ON_LOAD or just at the bottom of your addon   
  12. --Register for the zone change/player ready event
  13.     EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("MyAddonName", EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED, Callback_Player_Activated)

Like written in the code the addon should load some function as it loads up, by event EVENT_ADDON_ON_LOAD. Replace MyAddonName with the name of your addon, like the lua filename is.

Lua Code:
  1. local function Addon_Loaded(eventCode, addOnName)
  2. --Is this addon found? Put your addon's name here!!!
  3.     if(addOnName ~= "MyAddonName") then
  4.         return
  5.     end
  6.     --Unregister this event again so it isn't fired again after this addon has beend reckognized
  7.     EVENT_MANAGER:UnregisterForEvent("MyAddonName", EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED)
  9.     --Register for the zone change/player ready event
  10.     EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("MyAddonName", EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED, Callback_Player_Activated)
  12. end

At the bottom of your addon's lua file put this then to register the event on addon load callback function:
Lua Code:
  1. EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("MyAddonName", EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED, Addon_Loaded)

About the weapon bar change:
I do not know how to check on this but I'll have a look.

EDIT:

There is an event for this too. So put this into the ON ADDOn LOAD event callback function:
Lua Code:
  1. EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("YourAddonName", EVENT_ACTIVE_WEAPON_PAIR_CHANGED, WeaponSwapped)

And this somewhere above:

Lua Code:
  1. local function WeaponSwapped(...)
  2. --remove borders at action buttons
  3. for slotNum = 3, 9 do
  4.         local button = ZO_ActionBar_GetButton(slotNum).button
  5.         button:SetNormalTexture("")
  6.         button:SetPressedTexture("")
  7.         button:SetDisabledTexture("")
  8.         end
  9. end
  10. end

As the code is duplicate now try to put it in a nother local function and then call the function inside the Weapon swapped callback function AND the player activated function instead.

Last edited by Baertram : 04/13/15 at 02:39 PM.
04/13/15, 03:45 PM   #3
blakbird

Thanks for the help! I am very new to learning lua. I mostly dissect code and make changes to see how it works. Is there more to this code than what you have showed me? I tried to put that code together as you instructed(and a few other ways), but I keep getting errors (due to me not having the skills to deduce why the errors are happening). If you have the time, can you please show me what this code looks like all together? I didn't intend to have someone write this addon for me, but I can see that it is way beyond my current coding skillset.
04/13/15, 04:08 PM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
A better way to learn from each other is you post us your code and we can tell you what you could do better/another way.

My example code from above would look like this, where your new addon's name would be "NoActionbarBorders" (filename would be the same + .lua, and the manifest file + .txt at the end, and create a new folder with the addon#s name and put the lua and txt file in there, and this folder then as a subfolder into the "Addons" folder):

Lua Code:
  1. --Just a function to reduce redundant code
  2. local function RemoveActionbarBorders()
  3.     --remove borders at action buttons
  4.     for slotNum = 3, 9 do
  5.             local button = ZO_ActionBar_GetButton(slotNum).button
  6.             button:SetNormalTexture("")
  7.             button:SetPressedTexture("")
  8.             button:SetDisabledTexture("")
  9.     end
  10. end
  12. --Callback function for the player activated event (upon zone change or logging in new)
  13. local function Callback_Player_Activated(...)
  14.     RemoveActionbarBorders()
  15. end
  17. --Callback function for the weapon swap event
  18. local function Weapon_Swapped(...)
  19.     RemoveActionbarBorders()
  20. end
  22. --Put this somewhere where your addon gets initialized, e.g. inside callback function of EVENT_ADDON_ON_LOAD or just at the bottom of your addon
  23. --Register for the zone change/player ready event
  24.     EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("NoActionbarBorders", EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED, Callback_Player_Activated)
  26. --Callback function for the addon loaded event (executes for EVERY addon that loads!)
  27. local function Addon_Loaded(eventCode, addOnName)
  28.     --Is THIS addon HERE found?
  29.     if(addOnName ~= "NoActionbarBorders") then
  30.         return
  31.     end
  32.     --If you got here your addon is found so execute the following code lines:
  33.     --Unregister this event again so it isn't fired again after this addon has beend loaded
  34.     EVENT_MANAGER:UnregisterForEvent("NoActionbarBorders", EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED)
  35.     --Register for the zone change/player ready event
  36.     EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("NoActionbarBorders", EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED, Callback_Player_Activated)
  37.     --Register the callback function for the weapon bar switch
  38.     EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("NoActionbarBorders", EVENT_ACTIVE_WEAPON_PAIR_CHANGED, Weapon_Swapped)
  39. end
  41. --Register the event ADD_ON_LOADED to get started with your addon. As this event will be called for EVERY addon you need to
  42. --check your addon#s name inside the cllback function so it won't execute your code for EVERY addon!
  43. EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("NoActionbarBorders", EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED, Addon_Loaded)

I did not test this so it might contain errors. But I hope you get the point and it helps you!

EDIT:
I did test it now and it is working fine. You notice a small flickering of the borders at a weapon change but I think you won't be able to change this without replacing the textures for the borders with some other textures, or NO textures.
There is some command for lua to exchange/replace existing textures but I do not know if you are able to do this with these action bar textures as well.
search the forum for "replace texture" or "exchange texture" and use the addon "TextureIt" to find the textures for the action bars and then you might get it to work.

Last edited by Baertram : 04/13/15 at 04:21 PM.
04/13/15, 04:12 PM   #5
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
The .txt manifest file would look like this, for example:

Code:
## Title: NoActionbarBorders
## APIVersion: 100011
## SavedVariables: NoActionbarBorders_SavedVariables
## Description: This addon will remove the borders around the action bar skills
## Version: 0.0.1
## Author: blakbird

NoActionbarBorders.lua
SavedVariables name, author name, description and version is up 2 you.
APIversion should be the most current one so the addon is not listed as outdated inside the ESO game addon manager.
04/13/15, 04:36 PM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Found the thread with that replace texture function. It's name is
"RedirectTexture(string oldTexturefilename, string newTextureFileName)"

http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthre...eplace+texture
04/13/15, 04:45 PM   #7
blakbird

I copied the lua code and saved it as NoActionbarBorders.lua. I copied the text file info and saved it as NoActionbarBorders.txt. I can see the addon is loaded in game, but it does nothing. I'm not completely new to programming as I used to be a web designer, but looking at lua, I can only see why working code works. I just can't see why code doesn't work.

I will check out that thread you linked now about replacing the textures.
04/13/15, 04:50 PM   #8
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I had an error in my lua code in line 24.
I had written "-_" instead of "--" to start a commented line.
-> To better see those errors ingame install the addon "BugEater". It will show the error messages in the chat and you can configure them to only show once etc. Need to visit the settings of this addon in the menu.

Just in case you copied the source code BEFORE I changed this just copy the code again.

Here you'll find a working version so you can check the difference with yours:
No Actionbar Borders v0.0.1
04/13/15, 05:04 PM   #9
blakbird

Thank you very much!!! I just added this at line 10:

Code:
RedirectTexture("/esoui/art/actionbar/ability_ultimate_framedecobg.dds", "")
That removes the squares on the corners of the Ultimate button. Now I need to see if I can tackle the issue of the borders showing up during a weapon swap.

Edit - Adding these 3 lines of code starting at line 10 seems to be working:

Code:
RedirectTexture("/esoui/art/actionbar/ability_ultimate_framedecobg.dds", "")
RedirectTexture("/esoui/art/actionbar/abilityinset.dds", "")
RedirectTexture("/esoui/art/actionbar/abilityframe64_up.dds", "")
That removes the border when swapping and any empty slots as well.

Last edited by blakbird : 04/13/15 at 05:11 PM.
04/13/15, 05:11 PM   #10
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Fine :-)

The thread said something about preloading the textures at least once otherwise they won't be shown and thus not replaced.
I think this will be done automatically as the action bar is always there at the start of the game, or at leasta fter swapping it at least once.

Sometimes deleting the file ShadedCooked.cache one folder above the "Addons" folder helps too if you experiment with textures!

I hope you can find the right textures. I've tried it with
Lua Code:
  1. RedirectTexture("/esoui/art/actionbar/abilityframe64_down.dds", "/esoui/art/achievements/achievements_iconbg.dds")

and also with the *-up.dds each time the weapons are swapped, but this did not seem to work properly :-(
Maybe I got the wrong texture names.

EDIT:
Ok, I had the wrong textures then ^^
Now optimize your code so the textures won't be redirected too often. I guess it is enough to redirect them at the player activated event callbackfunction once because they shouldn't reload at each weapon switch, isn't it?
04/13/15, 05:21 PM   #11
blakbird

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Now optimize your code so the textures won't be redirected too often. I guess it is enough to redirect them at the player activated event callbackfunction once because they shouldn't reload at each weapon switch, isn't it?
This is where I start to get lost again. I don't really know what code is unnecessary or how this addon can be optimized.
04/13/15, 05:27 PM   #12
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
As I said: Post your code here.

Just use the highlight container and copy&paste your lua file in here so we can see it :-)
04/13/15, 05:34 PM   #13
blakbird

Lua Code:
  5.             local button = ZO_ActionBar_GetButton(slotNum).button
  6.             button:SetNormalTexture("")
  7.             button:SetPressedTexture("")
  8.             button:SetDisabledTexture("")
  9.     end
  10.     RedirectTexture("/esoui/art/actionbar/ability_ultimate_framedecobg.dds", "")
  11.     RedirectTexture("/esoui/art/actionbar/abilityinset.dds", "")
  12.     RedirectTexture("/esoui/art/actionbar/abilityframe64_up.dds", "")  
  13. end
  15. --Callback function for the player activated event (upon zone change or logging in new)
  16. local function Callback_Player_Activated(...)
  17.     RemoveActionbarBorders()
  18. end
  20. --Callback function for the weapon swap event
  21. local function Weapon_Swapped(...)
  22.     RemoveActionbarBorders()
  23. end
  25. --Put this somewhere where your addon gets initialized, e.g. inside callback function of EVENT_ADDON_ON_LOAD or just at the bottom of your addon
  26. --Register for the zone change/player ready event
  27.     EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("NoActionbarBorders", EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED, Callback_Player_Activated)
  29. --Callback function for the addon loaded event (executes for EVERY addon that loads!)
  30. local function Addon_Loaded(eventCode, addOnName)
  31.     --Is THIS addon HERE found?
  32.     if(addOnName ~= "NoActionbarBorders") then
  33.         return
  34.     end
  35.     --If you got here your addon is found so execute the following code lines:
  36.     --Unregister this event again so it isn't fired again after this addon has beend loaded
  37.     EVENT_MANAGER:UnregisterForEvent("NoActionbarBorders", EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED)
  38.     --Register for the zone change/player ready event
  39.     EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("NoActionbarBorders", EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED, Callback_Player_Activated)
  40.     --Register the callback function for the weapon bar switch
  41.     EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("NoActionbarBorders", EVENT_ACTIVE_WEAPON_PAIR_CHANGED, Weapon_Swapped)
  42. end
  44. --Register the event ADD_ON_LOADED to get started with your addon. As this event will be called for EVERY addon you need to
  45. --check your addon#s name inside the cllback function so it won't execute your code for EVERY addon!
  46. EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("NoActionbarBorders", EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED, Addon_Loaded)

Last edited by blakbird : 04/13/15 at 05:48 PM.
04/13/15, 05:45 PM   #14
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Ok, as I said you don't need the weapon switch event anymore, because you can exchange the textures 1 time at the player activated event. After they are changed from original textures to NONE they won't show up anymore, even if you change the weapons.
And if you reload or rezone the player activated event will be fired again and replace the texturs with NONE again, so you should be fine.

Here is the result:
Lua Code:
  5.         local button = ZO_ActionBar_GetButton(slotNum).button
  6.         button:SetNormalTexture("")
  7.         button:SetPressedTexture("")
  8.         button:SetDisabledTexture("")
  9.     end
  10.     --Remove the border texturs now until next ReloadUI or zone change
  11.     RedirectTexture("/esoui/art/actionbar/ability_ultimate_framedecobg.dds", "")
  12.     RedirectTexture("/esoui/art/actionbar/abilityinset.dds", "")
  13.     RedirectTexture("/esoui/art/actionbar/abilityframe64_up.dds", "")
  14. end
  16. --Callback function for the player activated event (upon zone change or logging in new)
  17. local function Callback_Player_Activated(...)
  18.     RemoveActionbarBorders()
  19. end
  21. --Put this somewhere where your addon gets initialized, e.g. inside callback function of EVENT_ADDON_ON_LOAD or just at the bottom of your addon
  22. --Register for the zone change/player ready event
  23. EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("NoActionbarBorders", EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED, Callback_Player_Activated)
  25. --Callback function for the addon loaded event (executes for EVERY addon that loads!)
  26. local function Addon_Loaded(eventCode, addOnName)
  27. --Is THIS addon HERE found?
  28.     if(addOnName ~= "NoActionbarBorders") then
  29.         return
  30.     end
  31.     --If you got here your addon is found so execute the following code lines:
  32.     --Unregister this event again so it isn't fired again after this addon has beend loaded
  33.     EVENT_MANAGER:UnregisterForEvent("NoActionbarBorders", EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED)
  34.     --Register for the zone change/player ready event
  35.     EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("NoActionbarBorders", EVENT_PLAYER_ACTIVATED, Callback_Player_Activated)
  36. end
  38. --Register the event ADD_ON_LOADED to get started with your addon. As this event will be called for EVERY addon you need to
  39. --check your addon#s name inside the cllback function so it won't execute your code for EVERY addon!
  40. EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("NoActionbarBorders", EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED, Addon_Loaded)

Btw: there is still one small texture line left beyond the ultimate skill
04/13/15, 05:48 PM   #15
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by blakbird View Post
How do you post it as LUA code as opposed to just code?
Just use the blue lua (better write lua instead of LUA or Garkin will post you a link about lua and LUA ) button above the text window her ein the chat message.

It will insert the following code:

Code:
[high light="Lua"] Paste your lua source code here [/high light]
Attention: I had to write it high light (with a space in between) so you can see it! Normally there is no space in between.

Paste&Write your lua code in between the opening and closing tags, that's all.
04/13/15, 05:54 PM   #16
blakbird

It worked the second time I tried it. I don't know what I did wrong the first time.

Btw: there is still one small texture line left beyond the ultimate skill
What are you referring to there?
04/13/15, 06:04 PM   #17
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod

Do you see this small grey line beyond the icon? I thought this maybe is another border texture which you wanted to remove. If I change weapons I can clearly see it.
04/13/15, 06:10 PM   #18
Garkin

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Just use the blue lua (better write lua instead of LUA or Garkin will post you a link about lua and LUA ) button above the text window her ein the chat message.
Originally Posted by http://www.lua.org/about.html
"Lua" (pronounced LOO-ah) means "Moon" in Portuguese. As such, it is neither an acronym nor an abbreviation, but a noun. More specifically, "Lua" is a name, the name of the Earth's moon and the name of the language. Like most names, it should be written in lower case with an initial capital, that is, "Lua". Please do not write it as "LUA", which is both ugly and confusing, because then it becomes an acronym with different meanings for different people. So, please, write "Lua" right!

If you redirect textures, you dont need to set textures to "", so the code could be much more simple.

Textures are replaced until reload UI, but at this moment will be executed EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED again, so it is enough to replace textures in there.

Lua Code:
  1. --Callback function for the addon loaded event (executes for EVERY addon that loads!)
  2. local function Addon_Loaded(eventCode, addOnName)
  3.     if (addOnName == "NoActionbarBorders") then
  4.         RedirectTexture("/esoui/art/actionbar/ability_ultimate_framedecobg.dds", "")
  5.         RedirectTexture("/esoui/art/actionbar/abilityinset.dds", "")
  6.         RedirectTexture("/esoui/art/actionbar/abilityframe64_up.dds", "")
  7.     end
  8. end
  10. --Register the event ADD_ON_LOADED to get started with your addon. As this event will be called for EVERY addon you need to
  11. --check your addon#s name inside the cllback function so it won't execute your code for EVERY addon!
  12. EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent("NoActionbarBorders", EVENT_ADD_ON_LOADED, Addon_Loaded)
04/13/15, 06:14 PM   #19
blakbird

Do you see this small grey line beyond the icon? I thought this maybe is another border texture which you wanted to remove. If I change weapons I can clearly see it.
I do see that. That is the fill line for the Ultimate ability. I am leaving that in there so I know when it's full.

Do you know how to access the art folder? Since we are able to swap textures I was thinking I could replace the textured icons in the chat window with flat white ones. That would be super easy if I could just copy the .dds files and alter them in photoshop and store the new ones in a folder in the addon that replaces those icons. Garkin gave me a link to an extractor, but I can't get it to work. It immediately crashes when I try to use it.

Last edited by blakbird : 04/15/15 at 02:28 AM.
04/13/15, 06:24 PM   #20
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
EDIT:
Sorry, I did not read your post to the end ...
No, I unfortunately do not know how to extract those textures
But why don't you just let the chat fade out to 10% or 0%? This is a standard ESO setting.

Together with my addon FCOChatTabBrain you can make the 3 icons + other icons face out too.
it gives you possibility to control the chat by keybindings as well + many other nice options.

And the addon pChat, which is a really handy chat enhancement/changer, you can make the text of the chat window fade in again so only the text is shown and everything else is hidden until you hover it.
It gives you also some other features like timstamps, copy messages to clipboard, copy chat settings (chat tabs, etc.) from char 1 to char 2.

My old message was:
Oh, well :-) I don't use the fill line as an addon is telling me % value of the "fill state".
I like it this way because there are some ultimate skills, that get more power with higher % values (like 1000% maximum, instead of 100% where the fill line ends).

I think you cannot access the art folder or any other folders of the game.
But you are able to put some .dds texture files in your addon#s folder, or better a subfolder.
Check the addon "Destinations" or "Inventory Grid View" e.g.
They got an "assets" folder containing texture .dds files.

In your addon source code you are able to load the filenames into an array/table, like Inventory grid view does:
Lua Code:
  1. local TEXTURES = {
  2.     ["Classic"] = {
  3.         BACKGROUND = "InventoryGridView/assets/griditem_background.dds", --set to black?
  4.         OUTLINE = "InventoryGridView/assets/griditem_outline.dds",
  5.         HOVER = "InventoryGridView/assets/griditem_hover.dds",
  6.         TOGGLE = "InventoryGridView/assets/grid_view_toggle_button.dds"
  7.     },

You just need to put the correct addon folder name (yours would be "NoActionbarBorders" then) and the folder + .dds filename.
This way you could replace the textures, maybe.

Last edited by Baertram : 04/13/15 at 06:28 PM.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » [Request] Remove Action Button Borders