04/10/14, 10:00 PM   #1
Jorvalt
[Request] Addon that allows the player to use the same weapon for both actionbars

I was always annoyed by the fact that in this game, you have to have two different weapons in order to utilize both actionbars. So, if you plan on using the same weapon for both actionbars, you have to make two of that weapon every time you make a new one. My idea for the addon is to have it switch your weapon into the other weapon slot when you press the weapon swap key. That way, it allows you to retain the same weapon when switching actionbars. I'm fairly certain that this is do-able, but if it's not, feel free to tell me. I don't like to be left hanging.
04/10/14, 10:07 PM   #2
Kith
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
As that would be manipulating combat-related activities during combat, i'm going to say it probably won't be doable as its an open avenue for potential automation. The API won't even let you mount your horse via AddOns due to a lockdown, so combat related stuff will certainly be locked sorry.
04/10/14, 10:10 PM   #3
Jorvalt
Originally Posted by Kith View Post
As that would be manipulating combat-related activities during combat, i'm going to say it probably won't be doable as its an open avenue for potential automation. The API won't even let you mount your horse via AddOns due to a lockdown, so combat related stuff will certainly be locked sorry.
That's pretty stupid.
04/10/14, 10:33 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
The game is designed so that you only have the 5 actions. This is part of the decision making in the game. Deck building, if you will. You cannot bypass this. However - you may be able to work your way around it by having two of the same weapon, I'm not sure.
04/11/14, 07:01 AM   #5
FerventPiranha
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
The game is designed so that you only have the 5 actions. This is part of the decision making in the game. Deck building, if you will. You cannot bypass this. However - you may be able to work your way around it by having two of the same weapon, I'm not sure.
There's a loading tip suggesting using the same weapon as both primary and secondary if you want to just swap skills, so that's definitely intended.
04/11/14, 09:10 AM   #6
stjobe

Originally Posted by FerventPiranha View Post
There's a loading tip suggesting using the same weapon as both primary and secondary if you want to just swap skills, so that's definitely intended.
The same type of weapon, not the same weapon. You still need e.g. two Inferno staffs, or four daggers etc.
04/11/14, 10:14 AM   #7
FerventPiranha
Originally Posted by stjobe View Post
The same type of weapon, not the same weapon. You still need e.g. two Inferno staffs, or four daggers etc.
Yeah, that's what I meant. My response wasn't as specific as the quoted post For the same specific weapon, swapping skills in/out of the toolbar may work, as opposed to swapping said weapon into the second toolbar, but I don't know what's allowable
04/11/14, 03:05 PM   #8
Iyanga
Hm.

*pondering*

I think I can actually solve the problem - in a strange way, but who cares as long as it works, right?

I'll try to patch up an alpha version over the weekend. My biggest problem is that I'm still not level 15, this makes the testing a bit difficult.
04/11/14, 03:17 PM   #9
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Iyanga View Post
Hm.

*pondering*

I think I can actually solve the problem - in a strange way, but who cares as long as it works, right?

I'll try to patch up an alpha version over the weekend. My biggest problem is that I'm still not level 15, this makes the testing a bit difficult.

Rofl, you're not alone there ... Granted I have spent time on 3 characters for testing the gathering side of my addon but with all the testing on the displaying of the results I have done the last 2 weeks none of them have reached level 10 yet rofl. But being in town a lot meant their crafting has been climbing up thanks to their few trips out of town to actually quest and get loot.
04/11/14, 03:32 PM   #10
Aiiane

Hm.

*pondering*

You could post what way you think would work, and see if others can point out flaws in your plans before you dedicate a lot of time to it.
04/11/14, 03:38 PM   #11
Iyanga
Originally Posted by Aiiane View Post
You could post what way you think would work, and see if others can point out flaws in your plans before you dedicate a lot of time to it.

Thanks, but then I wouldn't get all the downloads from the coders who want to see how I managed to do that

And if I really should have wasted time, then it's the just punishment for my completely-not-so-humble self.
04/11/14, 03:53 PM   #12
Aiiane

*shrug* up to you how you want to spend your time.

That said, it's unlikely that any bug which allows a single weapon to be used for both slots would remain unpatched for long, so in the long run it's probably a waste of time regardless.
04/11/14, 03:55 PM   #13
Jorvalt
Hm.

*pondering*

I'll try to patch up an alpha version over the weekend. My biggest problem is that I'm still not level 15, this makes the testing a bit difficult. :p
Looking forward to it. I'm curious to see how you'll do it.
04/12/14, 02:50 AM   #14
Iyanga
Okay, I've tested all the API I need and as far as I can tell, my biggest problem is... to come up with a name for the addon.

Any ideas?

I'm terrible with names.
04/12/14, 06:48 AM   #15
Halja

DualActionWeapon
"When one action bar for your best weapon is not enough!"
04/12/14, 01:57 PM   #16
Iyanga
Well, sorry bud. I managed to get rid of the error message that you are not allowed to change stuff in combat and it sheathed the weapon for the swap, so it looked promising. But some lower layer still cleans it up. There might be the off-chance that the lower layer won't mind about a correct switch (I need to test with main hand<>offhand, not main hand and main hand, as I'm not level 15.) I'll come back with the result when I'm level 15, but for now, there is no reasonable way to achieve what you want.
04/12/14, 02:48 PM   #17
Stormknight

The only way I could think of is:
1. Unequip the weapon.
2. Switch bar.
3. Equip the weapon.

Feels clunky though.
04/12/14, 04:48 PM   #18
Jorvalt
Well, sorry bud. I managed to get rid of the error message that you are not allowed to change stuff in combat and it sheathed the weapon for the swap, so it looked promising. But some lower layer still cleans it up. There might be the off-chance that the lower layer won't mind about a correct switch (I need to test with main hand<>offhand, not main hand and main hand, as I'm not level 15.) I'll come back with the result when I'm level 15, but for now, there is no reasonable way to achieve what you want.
Aw, poo.
At least you tried.

Originally Posted by Stormknight View Post
1. Unequip the weapon.
2. Switch bar.
3. Equip the weapon.

Feels clunky though.
Actually, that wouldn't work. You can't switch bars unless you have a weapon equipped in the secondary weapon set slot.
04/13/14, 02:55 AM   #19
Iyanga
Originally Posted by Stormknight View Post
1. Unequip the weapon.
2. Switch bar.
3. Equip the weapon.

Feels clunky though.
The problem is, equipping in combat is prevented. Outside of the combat is no problem to switch the weapons after a weapon set change via addon.
04/13/14, 04:30 AM   #20
Stormknight

If equipping weapons is preventec during combat, I can't see a way of doing this.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » [Request] Addon that allows the player to use the same weapon for both actionbars