04/01/14, 07:22 AM   #1
hesa
[request]Action bars

I wonder if it is possible to add more action bars, 1 thru 5 not enough, adding another 5 spots would be great total of 10 spots 0 thru 9. thank you
04/01/14, 07:40 AM   #2
skyraker
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm pretty sure ZO intended for us to only be able to use 5 abilities (plus your ultimate ability slot) at one time, so even if it were possible it may not be something they want done.
04/01/14, 07:51 AM   #3
hesa
current action bars

I can understand the simpler ui for xbox and playstation but for pc players that have played many mmo's have come to like and prefer a more complete ui. and since its an add on not a change to code its an optional choice to use or not use. current layout is great for casual players but i feel it should be up to the player base to decide what they wish to have access to to make their personal gaming enjoyable. of course its not a make or break deal for myself i love this game i will adapt ( keyboard macros ftw ) . just my input on this element of the ui.
04/01/14, 07:56 AM   #4
Pawkette

This breaks the design of the game, and can easily give people an advantage. Even if it were possible, I doubt anyone would do it. You'll have to adjust to the game that you've gotten, not try to change it.
04/01/14, 08:00 AM   #5
hesa
all good

I wasnt trying to start any kind of situation, i run with a group of people who move from mmo to mmo and they had mention the idea "how it would be good if we had more action bars" im the resident forum runner in the group so i posted the request, we will of course play it as it was designed. to the modders my respect in all things you come up with.
04/01/14, 08:15 AM   #6
skyraker
It's okay Hesa. You aren't causing a situation. We have just seen a lot of requests from people that are just now experiencing ESO and wanting certain things to be more like other MMOs.
04/01/14, 09:30 AM   #7
Vuelhering
Originally Posted by hesa View Post
I can understand the simpler ui for xbox and playstation but for pc players that have played many mmo's have come to like and prefer a more complete ui.
That 5 slots + quickslot + ultimate is a design element, not a UI element. It's ingrained into the game, on purpose.

Think of it like playing a game of Magic:the gathering. You get a certain number of cards. In this game, that number is 7... changing that number fundamentally changes the game.

So the answer is a resounding "not possible".
04/01/14, 05:38 PM   #8
Seriami
I would argue that nothing is impossible. It may require something as mundane as writing a macro to /cast a spell that's not on your action bar and binding it to 6-0, or creating a completely new action bar UI and remapping to the available slots. I would argue that if it can be written legitimately through the LUA API or macro system, then it is permissible. It just requires a programmer with the expertise to pull it off.

As for having an advantage over PS4/Xbox players, that's a moot point. Console players will play on their own, dedicated megaservers (ESO on PS4 Q&A) so the playstyle of PC players will have no impact on console players, particularly with regards to PVP.

I look forward to dabbling in an action bar project myself, though I also look forward to seeing if anyone else comes up with something sooner.
04/01/14, 05:51 PM   #9
skyraker
Originally Posted by Seriami View Post
I would argue that nothing is impossible. It may require something as mundane as writing a macro to /cast a spell that's not on your action bar and binding it to 6-0, or creating a completely new action bar UI and remapping to the available slots. I would argue that if it can be written legitimately through the LUA API or macro system, then it is permissible. It just requires a programmer with the expertise to pull it off.

As for having an advantage over PS4/Xbox players, that's a moot point. Console players will play on their own, dedicated megaservers (ESO on PS4 Q&A) so the playstyle of PC players will have no impact on console players, particularly with regards to PVP.

I look forward to dabbling in an action bar project myself, though I also look forward to seeing if anyone else comes up with something sooner.
I think you miss the point. ZO does not want us to do more.
04/01/14, 05:52 PM   #10
Pawkette

You really don't understand game design do you?
04/01/14, 06:03 PM   #11
skyraker
Originally Posted by Pawkette View Post
You really don't understand game design do you?
This directed at me?
04/01/14, 06:20 PM   #12
Pawkette

No skysky
04/01/14, 07:16 PM   #13
ingeniousclown
Originally Posted by Seriami View Post
... I look forward to dabbling in an action bar project myself ...
Have fun chasing smoke
04/02/14, 12:52 AM   #14
tiomun

I personally feel that the game has been designed (or redesigned at some point) to try and hit at the button masher / console market as much as possible. Basically the amount of controls are designed to limit everyone to the number of inputs on a dual stick controller.

Is that a good thing? I'm sure some one thought it was. I personally don't know. I'm feeling very torn on this game. I have wanted it to be good for so long that I cant help but want to play it, but every time I play I get angry at so many things. I don't think I am enjoying the game. Anyways wont go more into that.. goes off topic.

I agree the game needs more action bar slots. Even after level 15 when you can change weapon specs its just not enough space for the attacks you spent points on and time developing that you want to use. Plus the complete lack of onscreen indicators make it very hazardous to open up menu's while out and about to make changes.

At the very least they could make the quick slot accept actions and not just items. Kind of how Skyrim had a quick change slot. This would allow you to adapt to the situations you may encounter instead of being completely locked into 5 moves +1 periodic ability and a bunch of items we rarely use (in comparison to normal actions).
04/02/14, 08:30 AM   #15
ingeniousclown
But you're not SUPPOSED to have space for all the abilities you put points into. You're supposed to progress and make decisions and figure out what to take into a given scenario.

At first I thought it would be a bad thing to have limited inputs, but it honestly really makes my choices about my skill points feel much more impactful.

For the first time in a long time in the history of large MMOs, it is possible to create a very sub-par character (outside of respecs). If you had access to every ability, suddenly that risk is mitigated way more than it should be and makes skill point decisions and smaller, encounter-based decisions absent or unnecessary.

I feel like it was a good compromise. So far I am loving it.
04/02/14, 08:58 AM   #16
Haru
I feel like I'm rather patient about how the actionbar is built up; having discussions with friends about it whos viewpoint is that it changed due to consoles and that they will not play the game at all due to it.
Didn't one of the developers go out shortly after ESO was announced for console to say that they would not change the pc game to accommodate them? Might just be me thinking it.

However I'm getting more and more fine with it, looking at how you currently level up abilities and how the morphing system is.

Though, if I'd be looking for an "actionbar" addon (or better yet, ingame feature), I'd like one to change the skills currently on the hotbar to a set line of skills, even if it's just a few, when out of combat.
Reason being, for example, that I might like a heal ability + some stuns on my bars rather than my main set, for PvP. Rather than have to stop and drag said abilities down to my bar.

Originally Posted by tiomun View Post
Kind of how Skyrim had a quick change slot. This would allow you to adapt to the situations you may encounter instead of being completely locked into 5 moves +1 periodic ability and a bunch of items we rarely use (in comparison to normal actions).
Might be something like this? I, unfortunately, didn't get to play a lot of Skyrim
04/03/14, 03:24 PM   #17
tiomun

Originally Posted by ingeniousclown View Post
But you're not SUPPOSED to have space for all the abilities you put points into. You're supposed to progress and make decisions and figure out what to take into a given scenario.
I dont dislike this aspect of the game, but the menus are very awkward and hazardous to use out in the world. I think allowing quick slot attacks as well as items would allow for the decision and changing options to work much smoother. Pluss its similar to a system many elder scrolls fans are familiar with. It would also work with consoles so there is no advantage over the platforms.

This would also enhance immersion since you wouldn't be breaking play to enter large full screen menus.

Last edited by tiomun : 04/03/14 at 03:27 PM.
04/07/14, 05:50 AM   #18
Danariel
Originally Posted by Haru View Post
Though, if I'd be looking for an "actionbar" addon (or better yet, ingame feature), I'd like one to change the skills currently on the hotbar to a set line of skills, even if it's just a few, when out of combat.
Reason being, for example, that I might like a heal ability + some stuns on my bars rather than my main set, for PvP. Rather than have to stop and drag said abilities down to my bar.
Try Wykkyd's Outfitter. It does exactly this, including an armor/weapon set(s) change if you want.
04/07/14, 07:46 AM   #19
Tonyleila

For all of you complaining about to little action buttons I want to convince you thats it not the case.

At LvL 15 I have 23 Keybinds in ESO! While in WoW I have 28 Keybinds at level 90. 24 are normal spells 4 binds are mount up, use potion, use healthstone and sprint. In ESO It just feels less because you don't have all your spells in the bars.

Code:
1. Interact with something / Loot (yes this counts because it can be uses as boss mechanic to klick something
2. Light Attack (Press Mouse Button Once)
3. Hard Attack (Hold Mouse Button)
4. Switch Action Bar Button
5,6,7,8,9, Spells in Bar one
10 Ultimate 1
11,12,13,14,15 Spells in Bar two
16 Ultimate 2
17 interrupt target
18 Block Attack (right mousebutton)
19 use Potions (Q - the hold menu also coud be counted as extra key but I don't)
20 Sneak (strg)
21 Run fast (Shift)
22 Use combo abbilitys from other players (X key for me)
23 Mount up
So if there was an Action bar addon it shoud show ALL of this spells in the bar all the time! e.g. Icon with interupt and keybinding of it, Icon with sneak etc. Also it shoud show the spells of both stances while the not active one shoud be faded a bit. This woud be cool.

Last edited by Tonyleila : 04/07/14 at 07:56 AM.
04/07/14, 11:46 AM   #20
StealthStalker
That's a great idea, Tony.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » [request]Action bars