07/10/14, 10:20 AM   #1
EricBLivingston
"JavaFX Launcher Error" after latest update

After allowing Minion to update, stop and restart, I get that error, above. That's the dialog title, the text simply says "Exception while running Application" and has an Ok button.

I tried uninstalling and downloading/installing the latest version a minute ago, and I get identical behavior. I'm totally stopped.
07/10/14, 10:23 AM   #2
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Hi EricBLivingston,

When do you get this error? During the splash screen with the Minion logo? During the Loading... screen? Can I get a picture of it so I can show my java programmer?

Can you post your minion0.log? http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236

Thanks.

Last edited by Dolby : 07/10/14 at 10:26 AM.
07/10/14, 10:51 AM   #3
EricBLivingston
Screenshot

Well, this is the application not even starting. There is no .minion directory, even, so no log file to show. For some reason, Java can launch previous versions just fine, but this latest one can't even load up. I've attached the error dialog box - this is a java error, not a minion error, per se. Minion isn't even running when this occurs (that's the point, it can't even run it).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Minion Fail.png
Views:	1112
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	341  
07/10/14, 10:56 AM   #4
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Thanks for the screen shot. I'll have to run this by our java programmer. This is the first time I've seen that error in a window like that.

I see you're running windows 7, is it 64bit or 32bit?

Also are you launching Minion with the icon it creates or are you launching it directly from the Minion-jfx.jar located under the app folder in the install directory?

Last edited by Dolby : 07/10/14 at 11:04 AM.
07/10/14, 03:33 PM   #5
EricBLivingston
64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate. I was using the icon it creates
07/10/14, 03:39 PM   #6
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Thanks, are you able to install the previous version and not update it. Does it still work?

Previous version: http://cdn.mmoui.com/minion/Minion2.0.9a-beta.exe

And if the previous version still works do you have a .minion folder?
07/10/14, 04:11 PM   #7
EricBLivingston
Results of 2.0.9a Install (Works)

Yes, the previous version you linked to, and installed, worked perfectly.

The first time I tried it, it asked to update, and I said yes. So then it shut down, updated, and tried to run again, and got that error I posted.

So, then I uninstalled it, and re-installed it (v 2.0.9a) and declined the update. It came up just fine, and I'm running it now.

The only other anomaly was that during the install, it tried to install MS VC++ 2010 libraries, but that didn't finish, as it said I have more updated versions on my PC already.

So, at least we know the problem relates to some change that was made between 2.0.9a and 2.0.10. That should narrow the search considerably.
Attached Files
File Type: log minion0.log (394.8 KB, 747 views)
08/13/14, 04:18 AM   #8
Scarah
I found main problem of this program.. If you reinstall/update you got file
Code:
C:\Users\..yourusername..\AppData\Local\Minion\app\package.cfg
with EMPTY data at
Code:
app.classpath=
There should be
Code:
app.classpath=C:\Users\..yourusername..\AppData\Local\Minion\app\Minion-jfx.jar
This works for me after few previous and this update.. Until this solve i got javafx, and every possible error writed under posts
08/14/14, 09:47 AM   #9
Grogwort
Originally Posted by Scarah View Post
I found main problem of this program.. If you reinstall/update you got file
Code:
C:\Users\..yourusername..\AppData\Local\Minion\app\package.cfg
with EMPTY data at
Code:
app.classpath=
There should be
Code:
app.classpath=C:\Users\..yourusername..\AppData\Local\Minion\app\Minion-jfx.jar
This works for me after few previous and this update.. Until this solve i got javafx, and every possible error writed under posts
I tried this suggestion with the latest (Minion2.0.11b-beta), but it still didn't work for me.
Staying with Minion2.0.12-alpha and ignoring update seems my only option, which is fine for now. At least it is useable.
08/14/14, 11:01 PM   #10
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
We are still trying to track this down, we know whats causing it but not sure why yet. I think the fix Scarah posted was for a different issue.
08/16/14, 05:40 PM   #11
EricBLivingston
Originally Posted by Grogwort View Post
I tried this suggestion with the latest (Minion2.0.11b-beta), but it still didn't work for me.
Staying with Minion2.0.12-alpha and ignoring update seems my only option, which is fine for now. At least it is useable.
This option continues to work for me as well - 2.0.12-alpha is the only thing that's working for at the moment.
08/17/14, 08:34 PM   #12
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
For those of you that are running the 2.0.12-Alpha version can you do the follow:

Please open a command prompt and type the following and copy & paste the results here:

Code:
nslookup localhost
Code:
ipconfig /displaydns
Details on the issue:

The issue is JUnique not being able to bind to a random port on localhost. It does this to make sure there is only 1 copy of Minion running at a time. Allowing more than 1 Minion application to be open at a time causes all sorts of problems. So we disabled this in 2.0.12-Alpha to narrow down the problem. So that's why we are asking for the above network information because we believe there is something abnormal with your localhost configuration.

We are thinking of possibly changing the bind to a null address but the above information should help us determine if thats a route we should take.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Dolby : 08/17/14 at 08:42 PM.
08/19/14, 05:37 PM   #13
Grogwort
Success!

Success!

Checked my hosts file and found that I still had localhost mapped to an IP of another system on my local network that I was using for testing a server on, but haven't used for a long time.

So I changed localhost back to 127.0.0.1 in my hosts file.
Uninstalled 2.0.12-Alpha.
Re-installed 2.0.11b-beta.
Launched Minion and no error!

Thanks!

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » "JavaFX Launcher Error" after latest update